It's a numbers game right....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Royallawncare, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Royallawncare

Royallawncare LawnSite Member

I've been in the business for about 4 years now part time just mowing around 20 residential lawns, but this year i plan on making this my full time job i want to expand to around 60 new lawns. So if i want to accomplish my goal i will need to market my company and get my name out there, I plan on doing this by putting out flyers flyers flyers, my truck and trailer will be painted on monday, and I am ordering my business cards today. My question is what do i do from here should i go door to door offering my services to people or just pass out thousands of flyers? How many flyers should i pass out? Seeing that i am a new company most people wont recognize my name yet, how can i change that quickly? I have a professionally printed up flyer that i think is quite catchy but how many of these do I need to get out there for me to reach my goal? Keep in mind that in this area there are tons of people much like me who are in the business (I have already recieved 3 flyers and 1 doorhanger from local people and i am not even in what i would consider a "target area") There are so many companies around here how can i become one of the best and monopolize? my market?

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If there is a lot of activity with flyers in your area you will probably need around 40K flyers to get the 60 yards. We think door hangers are good because people might keep those for consideration later whereas a sheet of paper is harder to store. Next you got to offer something the other guys aren't offering. Maybe include bushes and fertilize. We think having a monthy fee is better for customer so they only have to make 12 payments a year rather than based on the number of cuts. The other obvious thing is you need to be competitive on price. A real bonus is use of internet to allow customers to request estimates, learn more about you, check their account, and make payments! Just my 2cents.

3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Aside from a huge and expensive marketing campaign, flyer's, newspapers, coupon mailers, direct mailing, radio, billboards, etc.., you won't change it quickly. Or, be the absolute cheapest and that will get market share. Of course you'll die on the vine trying.

To become one of the best companies around and gain a monopoly, will take time and perseverance. The service industry is about "a name". That comes with hard work to build a referral based client list. Really no other way about it. Unless, like I said, you have 250K to spend on advertising to slam into the market. You could be the smallest company around, but with huge professional and dominating marketing, you could probably pull off some big customer numbers.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

my best advice to you to to provide the best possible service by the means of quality of work, and jumping for customers when they want something. Word of mouth will quickly spread. The first thing I think you need to do is compile a list of potential customers that you already want, and work to get those customers.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

First thing I would do is send a referral letter to your present customers. Referral business is the easiest to sell IMO.

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

good point Rod