It's all gone

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rixtag, May 23, 2002.

1. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

I lost all my equipment last night. Stolen out from in front of my house. I was watching my duaghter while my wife was sleeping( trying to get caught up) and I heard some noise outside. I got up off the couch and walked over to the door in time to see them jump in the truck and drive off. Gave the baby to the wife and jumped in my truck to follow them. No luck. Long gone. The trailer was locked and everything was connected to a cable that was run through the wheel. I must have heard them cutting the lock I guess. I wish I could say that equipment theft was covered on my policy but it wasn't. The cost of insurance to cover theft was more than the equipment's value. You can't ( as far as I know) insure for lost business. Lesson: If they want it bad enough they will take it.

I wonder what would you all do in the same situation?

I have only 2 props ( 1 res-1comm) I will have my partner take up the resident and I am scrambling to get something to help out for a while.

I am really kinda in shock right now.

Rick

2. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, sorry Rick :(

3. tovoninc

tovoninc LawnSite Member

that's awful. I've had cars broken into and there is a lost sense of security and a feeling that you've been violated. Be sure to check your home owners policy since it was parked at your house. A long shot but it's worth a look.

4. HLC

HLC LawnSite Member

Rixtag, Sorry to hear about that. I am just keeping my fingers crossed on my stuff till I get a little bigger. The insurance in my area is outragious for commercial coverage. I only grossed about 5k last year (my first year) and the cheapest insurance I found was 1200 and that's only 300K liabiliy/ 12K equipment. Kinda hard to give 25% of your earnings for insurance. I do know that if you tell them (your homeowners) that it is used ANYWHERE but your home you'll be out of luck for sure.

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

not spose to cuss ,but thats just a sorry
    a-- thief. some day im going to get to do a little payback.. pity the fool.thats going to be a most unlucky man.
    not trying to talk big,just ticks me off an brings back memories.wouldnt say it if i didnt meanit.my sympathies.hope u had insurance to cover.

6. RMDoyon

RMDoyon LawnSite Member

Check with your homeowner's insurance co.
    Your equipment is personal property and it was parked at home.

Roger

7. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Did you see any faces or anything or license plates? I'm very sorry. Now that's just not right to steal someone's equipment and live your life like that. It's like you worked your whole life for that stuff. What kinda things were stolen? File a police report and see what happens? :mad: :mad:

8. Pulpit46227

Pulpit46227 LawnSite Member

Check your homeowners insurance.

9. anythinglawns

anythinglawns LawnSite Member

I agree with Roger. Check out your home owners policy. I ask my agent one time if my equipment was stolen would it be covered. He told me that if it where stolen of my property then it would be covered.

10. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

I apologize, I live in an apartment, I just forget and call it a house sometimes. Renters insurance doesn't cover it.

awm, I am right there with you. If I find him, do I " talk" to him first or call the police first? just kiddin'. I just don't have it in me to duke it out with someone. I do, however have it in me to pursue every legal avenue and prosecute to the fullest extent of the law. maybe talk to a few people around town etc...

lawnkid, All I saw was someone getting in the truck and the trailer following it down the road. I have pretty good description of the truck though. Filed a report but closing the door after the cow is out. Trailer contents: 6x10 trailer w-gate and gate lift eXmark 36 wb, toro 21, honda 21, proline trimmer, walk-behind edger, new stihl blower, gas cans, tarps etc

Some local cutters that I have talked to will keep the eyes peeled. They also offered to loan me equipment to help me out and I offered to let them do my props until I am back on my feet.

I can't believe the support and understanding from you guys and the locals. I really appreciate this industy because of it. How many people can say that a complete stranger would let them borrow a $1k peice of equipment? All Iknow is that I would not hesitate to do the same for other cutters in the same boat anytime.
    I suppose it's a good thing that I kept my old crapsman blower and edger as backups. :D Back to scrub equipment for a while.

Thanks again you guys,
    Rick