it's all in how well you hide it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 4, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok, check out this job i did, and another i bid, for the same client: the guy wants a cleanup, he wants the beds edged, grasses cut back, a few dead shrubs removed, mulch put in, as well as the addition of 15 assorted foundation size plantings. we do the job. his wife pays the bill. she is sooo happy with the work. he comes home from work, sees his property, and is so happy, he feels the need to call me, and leave this messege:" bob, i can't believe what my eyes are seeing. the place looks the best it ever has. i am so proud, at this moment, to be the owner of this house. i want to thank you, and ask you to please call me, i have some work i want u to do at my office." so, i call, and say, "yea, what's up?" he has a business, and his place needs a cleanup. i go over. it's a crap hole. tall weeds, overgrown english ivy, a couple dead trees, maybe 3 yrs worth of rotted leaves.....i don't know, a really undesirable job. i say , "look, i'll, tell u what, the place is a dump, hasn't been maintained in yrs. i'll clean it up. i can't quote you a price, but, i'll go with $65 an hr + disposal at $90 a load. i can have a man here in 3 days." he goes, " WOW, i can't imagine paying that much. $65 an hr? i, don't even make that much. i'm afraid i'll have to decline." LITTLE DID HE KNOW, for the job at his house, it came out to about $80 an hr, per man! this is why u have to "hide" your fees.
  2. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

I hear ya on that, I went through a phase when I thought it might be helpful to potential customers if I gave them a per hour price breakdown but I found out quick that people are afraid of that like you might just take three times longer and stick it to them.They all prefer a solid price even if it really works out to be $125.00 per hour but they just cant see that.:hammerhead:
  3. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

It's funny. I can get 30/hr per man but I can't get 90/hr for 3 guys. Go figure.
  4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

It's funny how people take hourly rates. I bidded on a job a few years back at $28 per hour. This was before I knew how much I needed to run my business (15 years old) and before I knew not to give that information out. They told me that they have had bids in the past and they knew that they could get other bids that would beat that price. I said fine and went home and refigured it. I knew it would be about an hour job, so I re-bidded each part of the job at $7 and they thought that was the best price ever, but little did they know that it was the same exact price, just re-worded...
  5. creeksidelc

creeksidelc LawnSite Member

What ya'll are saying is absolutely correct. Example: I have been mowing a ladies lawn for a year now and charging her $35.00 I also mow both lawns on either side of her for $35. I am in and out of the area in a little over an hour with one employee working with me at $10 per hour. I make almost $90 per hour. The one lady wants me to put some mulch in that she insists on having delivered. When we discuss price she only wants to pay $12 per hour. What gives? She happily pays me for mowing, but when it comes to other stuff she expects $12 per hour. Oh well.
  6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

thats it man dont give away the hourly price,.... keep it to yourself......:usflag: