1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Its been a while, tell me what you think..

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by waltonjr1, Mar 18, 2008.

1. waltonjr1

waltonjr1 LawnSite Member

Ive worked for a professional landscape company over 10 years ago before moving on to another profession. I still have a passion for it and recently landscaped my new house that I had built over the winter. I went with 1 gallon shrubs to cut back on cost so it will take a while to grow in nicley. I have about $950 invested in the total project. I found this site looking for ideas and find it to be a great resource for the professional or average joe interested in lawn in garden projects. Feel free to comment whether there positive or negative.[​IMG]
  2. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

It looks really nice! Great Job!:clapping:
  3. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

On the side of your home it looks like you have the shrubs way to close to the house, remember what you said, they are 1 gallon and will grow, you need to take that into consideration, I would have anchored the corners and maybe even the jog out in front, I would re locate the Iris, it seems out of place.
  4. waltonjr1

waltonjr1 LawnSite Member

Thanks for your advice, I was actually thinking about replacing that iris with another cluster of agapanthas. Im trying to keep a natural look as our subdivision is basically in the middle of swampland and iris pretty much are every where around here. The witch hazels along the side of the house are actually further away than they appear, about 1 foot. I plan on making that a hedge as they are very easy to shape and trim and stay full all year long.
  5. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

Definitely move stuff at least 1-2 feet away from the house and the only other nightmare you created is how deep your lobs go in and out. If you have a push mower even it might still be hard to mow that patch of grass on the inside of a lobe. If you have a rider you might as well string trim the first couple feet outside the beds.

Straight lines of plants dont always look good. Group things in clusters instead of linear.

Spacing of plants under windows and centering on walls can make the balance look better otherwise you might be making one giant open wall stand out

It looks nice though just lacks some function.
  6. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Wheres the height? you need to frame the house with larger plants. crape myrtle or something. otherwise not to bad.
  7. RWS

RWS LawnSite Member

Nice job, it looks good.
  8. AndyTblc

AndyTblc LawnSite Fanatic

I don't mean to be negative, but something doesn't look right, I don't know what it is, but something just doesn't click. You did a great job, but there is 1 thing that don't look right. I don't know if it's the type of mulch, or the plants, or the spacing. Oh well, but you for sure did a great job.
  9. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Looks great but I agree - you're missing height. Also, I think it would have been nice to incorporate some areas for seasonal color..

Just my .02

BTW - where in southern LA are you located?
  10. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

A lot of these things you guy's are critiquing him on all has to do with budget, and the overall satisfaction of the customer. A lot of times the customer will over ride me on a decision because they like this better than that and so forth. By the looks of the gallon plants budget was a factor. I think we have all been there before!

Only thing I see that I would change or something for you to remember in your future installs. Keep those curves flowing and not so tight. When cutting your beds keep in the back of your mind " can a mower easily mow through here".

Other than that it looks good.