It's cooking

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by George777, Apr 13, 2001.

1. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Last month my partner and I had 1 customer and now we are sitting @ 20. Being my first year I excitted about the potential to make some good cash flow. We payed off all our equipment and found out how quick we filled up our 12' trailer. Just purchased an areator and can't wait to use it. Next week we gonna do another flyer blitz and shoot for 50 customers. I've been having a ball trying to keep up with customers we've been picking up. I would have loved to got a ztr but the 48" w/b is doing an awesome job. this thing stripes to.

thank ya all for your help.

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

great news and good luck!

GEO

3. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

do yourself a favor and start looking for a 20 ft by 6ft 11 wide trailer now. you will need it next week. Dave g

4. DBM

DBM LawnSite Member

Holy Smokes George, good for you. It's my first year also but I'm not as busy as you, at least when it comes to mowing clients. I suspect you've laid alot more flyers than I. If I remember one of your last threads you said you were aiming to hand out 500 a day. Mind sharing with us how many you've handed out so far?

Doug

5. George777

from Alabama

DBM, thus far we have passed out about 1500 flyers since Feb
    We have targeted locations where we want to cut. I think maybe Feb was a little soon, but we picked up a lot of spring clean ups. I have noticed that the calls have really slowed down so next week My partner and I will attempt to pass out 1000 flyers and target the same areas.
    We also have done what I call cold calls. We drove around with the rig and would knock on doors and pick up customers that way also. Found out best day to do this is on Sat because everyone is home from work. (been told NO more than YES.)
    I keep hearing time and time again that many companies don't even show up for an estimate, in fact i've picked up customers just because I showed up.
    Hope this helps, Homer told me to hit the pavement when I first was got started a few months ago.

6. jrebeiro

jrebeiro LawnSite Member

We handed out about 3500 flyers in prime areas in which WE wanted to be in. And after each day of handing out flyers we would get calls. Then it died down a bit and we hit some more flyers and again we got calls. We now have about 30 clients and after we got our trailer lettered we are getting more calls. Lettering your trailer is the best investment you can make... our 7x16' is a moving billboard. It gives the customer the apperance of a large professional company and as long as the cutting is up to par it will go up from there. We received many compliments on our cutting (practice paid off) and people were slowing down to see our work and write down our # in the more prominent areas :) It is looking like I am gonna have to quit my fulltime job to fit all these people in!

Good luck to you and after a while you wont need flyers anymore. Get in the phone book.... its about the time to get in for next year.

7. George777

from Alabama

jrebeiro, I like that Idea of a traveling billboard. I just might have to look into that. How much did your sign cost? I was also thinking about getting little signs to place on my customer's lawns as advertisement. I think many would let me do that. Maybe people would drive buy and see how awesome the lawn looks and write down my number and give me a call. I wonder how well that might work?

I have had some success with cold calls and door banging. Yesterday my partner talked a lady into bringing her new mower back to lowes and sign up an a 10 month agreement. We finished our route and even loaded it onto the trailer and took it back for her. We were fired up about that one.

When this is all ya do and the only income source coming in you'll do what ever it takes to build it. Yesterday we had this happen for the first time. A lady in a van asked if we cut grass. I mean come on the trailer is slap full of equipment. We followed her to her house and pulled out our wheel and measured her turf. Told her are price and signed her up and cut the grass. The first cut price was doubled because the turf was looking rough.

Last week we picked up a commercial account and one right next door to it. Small turf we finish both with in one hour and we get 70.00. I have never in my life made that much in one hour. Man I be exited.