It's crunch time!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Apr 10, 2001.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Wow, came home from work today and we had 11 calls on our answering machine. Since we've been home we've had 4 more.

Grass is growing, and people are now finally starting to think about getting it cut. :)
    Now all we got to do is get to all these estimates. I've already weeded out a few that I considered not to be in good locations. You can't run yourself too ragged. We're just trying to take the cream of the crop now.
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Work work work. Great that winter is finally over.
  3. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

I hear ya sister. Ditto the weeding out unprofitable/too much hassle prospects. Bag those keepers and deep six the rest.
    Good luck this season.

[Edited by Bassman on 04-10-2001 at 07:43 PM]
  4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

What prompted all the calls? Did you place an ad, distribute fliers, or ???? Are you building a larger customer base than last season?

Things sure are happening here this week, huh? All the rain at night, 80s in the day, high humidity - grass is a growing. I don't recall seeing grass so dark green, at least those lawns that have been well cared for.

I started last Thursday, mowed some on Saturday, and was out most of the day yesterday and today. Last two days have ended up in the rain! (and the dark at 7:45 tonight)
  5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Came home today, seven messages on the answering machine. They all were essentially the same: "Hi Bill, Im a neighbor/sister/friend of so-and-so and would like you to put me on your mowing schedule for this year."

Not one caller asked me to quote them a price; just start mowing when it needs doing (around here probably start the 24th) and how would I like to be paid, weekly or monthly?

BTW I have not placed an advertisement the past several years; all calls were by referral. Good thing too, the weekly bargain paper came out today, over one hundred scrub ads in a 36-page paper.
  6. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish it were that way for us! We still have an average of 3feet of snow on 40% of the lawns. We hope to start cleaning the 20 Condominiums we maintain by April 27th and thats pushing it. We have 50 or 60 homes to prepare but those wont be ready till end of April and some along the lake cant be done to May do to all the snow fall we had. We have had it for plowing this year and cant wait to mow.
  7. yeah i am a bit behind over here but everything is wet. did my first cleanup last friday gonna do some tomorow and the rest next week then do some tree work and start cutting. should be a busy month or two.
  8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Quote: What prompted all the calls?

Our one time advertisement which came out on the front page of the newspaper which we ran on March 6th is getting all the calls.

We are adding more customers. We will more than likely have over 100 this year. Tweaked our customer list a bit more, but more than likely we will probably be tweaking some more with all these calls coming in. We are striving for the most condensed, high profit route we can get. That's why we are still advertising. We don't need the customers at this point. We now are looking for just certain customers.

We did the doorhanger thing this year for the first time. So far, the calls are coming in very slowly with that form of advertising, but we'll see what the final outcome is.