1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Its getting easier to pick up accounts!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CRM Lawncare, Jul 9, 2004.

1. CRM Lawncare

CRM Lawncare LawnSite Member

Man some of the hacks in my area are basically giving me business the last week or so. Lady calls, I give quote, I wait about a week and make a follow up call. She says the job is yours. I went and mowed last night and she comes out and we start talking. She told me out of 6 quotes I was the highest but I was the only one who showed up to quote when I said I would, actually made a follow up call and would give her a firm cost and set day to cut. As I was talking to her two of her neighbors came over and I signed both of them on the spot. Both had some guy who hadn't showed up in 3 weeks. Gotta love 3 homes in row.

I hope this trend continues, I need to add about 20 more to consider going full-time next year.

2. bettergrass

bettergrass LawnSite Member

that sounds great man it is always nice to have 3 customers in a row we have 7 in my original neighborhood and i just park in the middle of all of them and drive the mower around to go cutting
  3. primecutmo

primecutmo LawnSite Member
    from SWMO

yeah man i picked up 2 new lawns this week and a very large nursing home account. i was refered by another nursing home that i already mow
  4. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

Good, fair and friendly service will nearly always win over a customer unless he is just looking at cost only. Word of mouth about your business will make or break you.

And in the end, you always, ALWAYS get what you pay for, one way or another.

Sounds like you are doing it the right way. I'm sure you'll continue to grow and prosper.
  5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Unfortunately for me, There are a lot of "cost shopers" in my area. I do everthing that crm does and still don't seem to be getting as many new customers as I need...
  6. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

txlawnking - it's hard to deal with customers who are only looking at the price per week/month and not at the things that really matter, like prompt service that is done right.

It's just like someone buying a mower on low price only - you'll get what you pay for. If a customer is looking for who will mow his lawn the cheapest, there's people out there who will jump on it.

From the few pics I've seen of your work, I'm sure that sooner or later the customers WILL be calling you and pay the prices you want/need to charge. It's only a matter of time so hang in there!
  7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't worry, I'm not gonna quit, it's just hard sometimes to get motivated with so much rejection. But on a positve note, I did pick up 2 new accts. this week, I pray I get blessed with more..
  8. QC Lawn Services

QC Lawn Services LawnSite Member

We just picked up a new client last night. Their person was almost 2 weeks late and the only reason that he came was because they called him. The new client is part of group that use this guy and I think that if we do a good job, ie show up when expected, we will be getting a number of other clients. I also asked for a good, but fair price for our time and they didn't flinch.
  9. FreshCuts

FreshCuts LawnSite Member

I know what you mean, I had a call from a local Doctor that said his guy just shows up when he wants to and wants his cut every week. His yard is 5 acres with a 1200 foot drive. Cut it last week for the fist time and they were impressed that I showed up when I said I would.