1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

"it's Go Time"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dart2cut, Apr 1, 2004.

1. dart2cut

dart2cut LawnSite Member

Me and a buddy were talking today and the subject of ground speed of our mowers came up. He said that his exmark tthp 17/48 only ran about 6-8 mph and i told him it has to run around 9-10 mph and i wanted to know how fast my gravely 15/48 ran also. So, i called a buddy at the police department over to the fire station to clock us and it was go time.

He is 6'2" @ 215+ on his
    17/48 tthp w/proslide ran 9 mph

I'm 5'10" @ 150+ on my
    gravely 15/48 hydro w/proslide ran 10 mph

Also took the lazer z 25 kolar 52" we have at the station and it ran 11 mph w/ a 6' 225 lbs fire medic on it.

I did not feel like mine ran that fast because i have tried his out and it feels much faster than my gravely.

Then came the drag race. (We didn't have any thing else to do a the station other than get our stuff ready for cutting when we got off in the morning.)

The tthp gets up to speed fast, but at 15-25 ft the gravely is walking away. My buddy said he thinks the bigger tires on mine is the key. What do yall think?

Why does the tthp feel faster than the gravely when it's not?
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

smaller tires = fasster acceleration
    bigger tires = faster top speed

(assuming they're geared the same)
  3. dart2cut

dart2cut LawnSite Member

what about the differince in hp and the weight of the mowers and the riders, will that make the differince?

we were having alot of fun on city time i must say!!!!!!!!!
  4. mpflood

mpflood LawnSite Member

And you would be utterly shocked if a print out of this started
    floating around borough hall right?
    Man, in this day and age you have to run silent and run deep.
    Don't get caught with your proverbeal "pants down"
  5. 4-Leaf

4-Leaf LawnSite Member

What could be more American than solving the mystery with an actual lawnmower race?? Who would complain? -- Oh yeah -- the liberals.
  6. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Your tax dollars at work, folks. Three firemen and a cop. how many more were standing around eating donuts?
  7. Leone LawnCare

Leone LawnCare LawnSite Member

thats really funny one time i went to get donuts like at 1 am and it was packed with cops and i thought it was a myth
  8. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

Hey we have to keep the grass cut at the fire station, plus we are using our own mowers to do it. I was really suprised that the Gravely did not walk off and leave my Exmark. Advertised top speed on the Exmark is 6.2 MPH and 8.3 for the Gravely. I was expecting the Gravely to pull my Exmark by several lengths across the width of the lawn aproximately 150 feet, but when we would get to the end of a row he would only be about a half mower length ahead. Kinda makes me wonder how much faster the Hustler actually is.
  9. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Anyone willing to put their life on the line, be it fighting fire or fighting crime can sit around all day eating doughnuts on my dime and I'm glad to finance it. By the way, I am probably the most conservative member of this forum.
  10. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

dart2cut, are you taking applications?