It's hammer time!!!

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bobcat_ron, Jun 10, 2008.

1. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Dad just picked up the hammer and mini Hitachi from our welder, he fabbed up a mount plate for the old hammer I used to run on my 753 back in the day, now it has to have the hoses made and nitrogen chamber re-charged and a plexi-glass shield for the windows, this old b*tch really spits hard and far!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At full reach over the side of the tracks, it only takes 25 pounds to tip it over, so it's right at it's max. tipping load, and it can lay the point flat and parallel with the ground at full reach in or out which is why the mounting ears are welded to the hammer mount plate.

2. ConstSvcs

ConstSvcs LawnSite Senior Member

You're welder did a fine job with the fabrication of the quick attach plate. It doesn't look like a plasma cut job....seem's to be torched and ground to fit. How much did you pay for the work?

3. bobcat_ron

Dad will know when he gets the bill, the welder also did an entire re-build of the hammer, this old guy is jack-of-all-trades when it comes to everything and anything made of steel.

4. coopers

coopers LawnSite Bronze Member

Very nice, very resourceful too!

5. bobcat_ron

I will be getting it recharged and plumbed today and then start testing it hopefully on the weekend.

6. CAT MAN

CAT MAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

Man that guy did a fine job at welding! and thats quite the hammer you got there.

7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The welder will have to be on speed dial because the cracks in the boom will need repairing :laugh:

Hammers are the worst thing for a excavator they work good for some jobs but they sure beat the crap out of the machine.

One contractor has a 12,000ftlb breaker it is work one day and work on the machine the next. It rattles every bolt loose in the machine, there are cracks everywhere. Hydraulic hoses take a beating. There are other contractors with 5000 and 6000 ftlb breakers with booms welded up because of cracks.

That plate that Ron's welder friend will crack and bend the reason being the way the plate that the lugging is welded too has a space between it and the plate bolted on the breaker. It will flex and crack.

If your only busting concrete it isn't so bad as contractors spending 8 hours a day poking at rock. The contractors that have breakers try convince the home owners it is cheaper to use a breaker than blasting. They spend 8-16 hours busting rock with a breaker when it takes 4 hours with dynamite.

There was a guy in the area with a breaker on a 6000lb mini working on his own project he spent many hours busting up rock that dynamite could have done in 1/4 of the day. The guy must have spent atleast 100 hours busting rock with the breaker no bigger than a jack hammer.

8. bobcat_ron

I won't let myself rattle in that cab for 8 hours straight, maybe a few hours and that's it, this hammer will eliminate the need to cut a trench through concrete/pavement with my skidsteer first, then haul the mini excavator in to dig, now 1 machine does the whole job, or in cases where I don't want to spend a lot of time turning and twisting with my Cat, like processing oversize concrete chunks for the crusher.

9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Like I said they are good for concrete etc but start hammering on a rock ledge in a basement hole or hammering out a basement will kill the excavator.

It doesn't matter which brand of excavator you have the boom will crack in the arch.

I'am glad I never got roped into running excavator with a poker it is a boring job. You really need to know the stability of your machine when working on slopes or crawling down areas because you can't use the poker for stability like you can with a bucket.

10. bobcat_ron

Oh yeah, that's another thing that needs to be remembered, don't use the point when jump turning, lay the hammer down to do that.