Its my math correct here?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by finallyfree, Aug 19, 2004.

1. finallyfree

finallyfree LawnSite Member

I have a job I am bidding on
    $30,000 in materials whole sale, top soil, hyroseed and plants
    I am planning on bidding for this project $80,000
    3 people at $14.00 hr each will be doing this job( they are animals) granted its not the 1/3 splits, materials,labor and profit
    but I am happy with the profits it would bring, how close its that to what you guys would quote?

2. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

The mystery is what you have to go through to process the $30k in material into an $80k job. In other words, a materials list is just that. You can not price a job on materials.

You could spend a few hours with no machinery installing $30 in materials, or you could spend a month with all kinds of machinery working.

What does the job entail?

3. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

75,000 is my price

4. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

LOL how did you come up with a price coffeecraver....with the info he gave it's darn near impossible.

5. Coffeecraver

from VA.

25yrs experence

6. finallyfree

finallyfree LawnSite Member

OK, Its a new condo unit, lots of trees to be planted but nothing major,a little tree spade can do it in one day, ( spade is rent free since we buy our equipment from same guy) top soil 550 yds at
    $12.00 delivered, $ 19,000 in plants wholesale, 100000 sq ft of
    hydroseeding .06 wholesale, just rougly over $31,000 ,estimate
    3 weeks 2 workers 10 hours a day, $ 14.00 hr

7. Coffeecraver

from VA.

(QUOTE)
    "OK, Its a new condo unit, lots of trees to be planted but nothing major,a little tree spade can do it in one day, ( spade is rent free since we buy our equipment from same guy)"
    UNQUOTE)

Remember the client is paying for your expertise, much like a plumber or electrician. The value of the job does not change just because you have found a way to do the job eaiser,or cheaper.

according to my calculations,you are below the market value for the job.

When you know the value you can choose to diveate from it
    but you should stay close to it.

2.5 x total materials is the value of the job.

Too many varibles on a large job to ignore it.:blob3:

8. fcl01

fcl01 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

Going by your description, I'm at $92,725.00

9. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

OK, Norm, with your 25 years of experience, I would like you to tell me how much we should have bid on a job this year. We've already submitted the bid, and was not awarded the contract. I'll tell you later what our approximate bid was....

Commercial job, our cost on materials would have been around $3000. Equipment costs would have been around $60-70k.

What should we have bid, oh wise one?

Dan

10. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Simple, $7500. Just absorb the other costs like every other F'in moron in this business does for two years then goes belly up. :D