1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

It's official: Great Dane and Everide factory shut down

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowingman, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Due to financial problems, Auburn Consolidated Industries has closed it's doors and laid off it's employees. This could be the end of the Great Dane and Everide brands.
    It is possible that another mower manufacturer might buy the remains of this company, but my guess is these two brands are gone for good.
    Now, who might pick up the pieces???
  2. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

AND a Toro Stander is on the way.... Hmmmmm?
  3. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought Deere owned Great dane? O well you learn something new everyday.:usflag:
  4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Well, Wright products makes the Stander, sentar and the velke's grass gobblers and other attachments so.......
  5. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't seen nothing of this news. You have a link or something to verify?
  6. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

There might go the JD quik trak and Gravely stander.
  7. DCE

DCE LawnSite Senior Member

I was told ACI made the Quik Traks and I know for sure they made the Gravely Pro Stance. Sorry to hear about the closing of ACI, it's kind of hard to compete in an industry where the big name, major players capture a handsome portion of the business.
  8. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting ... this is the first I've heard of it !!
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

What I find interesting is their claims of having been in business for 20 years...
    I suppose in all things there is no such thing as any number of years makes us any safer from a failure than not, but as a rule I would think by the time you've got 20 years in little should phase you... That or you've been losing money the entire time or just lost the drive and ambition for it, I still don't quite get it thou (thou in as many ways I hope I never do).

The worst is parts, most can be bought aftermarket by cross-referencing (what a pita thou) but there may come a day when I have to trash a perfectly good mower because of something that can't be replaced.

LOL how do you think I feel making payments to the finance company when Everride got their money, I'm left without support but I still have to pay off the loan... So that ought to be the deal, you go out of business means I get out of making the rest of my payments dog gone it.

But more than a few dealers stuck their necks out too, I suppose we gave Everride what they deserved for a new company, see here's what I don't 'get' about this 20 year thing, everybody deserves that chance thou, pass or fail, it's all good.
  10. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

That's really sad to hear, I hope someone with deep pockets can help them out, I wonder if they went through all the bankrupcy protection etc like Delta did?