It's official, Shell gas is the best!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by ITRY, Jun 2, 2006.

1. ITRY

ITRY LawnSite Member
    from KY

I was talking to a guy who does commercial gasoline tank testing and he says that Shell gas is the best. He says of all the tanks he pulls, Shell is the cleanest. He says it is due to the high amount of detergent that is added to their gas. Second best is BP. Marathon is about middle of the road. Chevron (he says is the worst) tanks are full of sludge and Speedway is right there with Chevron. I know I had an old car that ran best on Shell due to the lower amount of ethanol in it in the 90's. I have always used Shell gas in my mowing equipment since, and have never had any engine trouble at all.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I've been running BP and Texaco almost exclusively but I also get premium because that tends to be cleaner as well... Yes, I've put Shell in from time to time, never had a problem.

You are right about Chevron, and Exxon I am not too excited about either.
    Same thing goes for all the cheap gas like Wawa and Citgo, etc...

Mechanics pulled apart my carb about a month ago on the truck... This thing is 20 years old and I heard them make the comment 'wow this thing is CLEAN' and I looked to see, and it was - squeaky clean, like a brand-new carburetor, I was impressed.

You know how I can tell the quality?
    By the smell... clean fuel smells good while cheap fuel stinks !
    It does, regular unleaded from a cheap place, omg that stuff smells like unwashed arse once you're used to catching the occasional whiff of a quality premium.

3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Marathon owns Speedway and I would think they would be the same. I like getting it at either a BP or Speedway

4. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i only get shell, the reason is, the only close gas station is shell, but i have no complaints.

5. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

I buy it where its cheapest... 87 always. Anything else is just a waste of money. Normally Kroger station or walmart, where i can get a discount.
    Shell is always most expensive and quite frankly so called "cleaner" gas isn't going to prolong equipment or even autos. I seriously doubt you'd be able to tell the difference.

All Clear

6. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Shell is good, but I've had the best luck with BP/Amoco.

I used to have a F-150 that would spark knock and idle rough if you ran Speedway or cheap regular in it. When you put BP premium in it, it would run fine.

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I knew a gal that worked for a Shell distributor and often if the station needed Premium and all the truck had was regular they would dump the regular in the premium tanks. I had a friend that worked for the same company and he appears to be honest and he says they would fix the pumps to not pump as much gas as it showed. I know they check stations now and then but apparently this kind of thing goes on. This is no reflection on Shell just the distributor. I remember a station in Detroit I think that they found only had one tank but was selling 3 grades of fuel. Heard that one on the news. I know some of this to be true and I think it happens much more than we realize.

8. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

people do some real research, just cause it comes in on a shell painted only means its shell cause of the detergent put in at (i dont remember what they called it, not refinery). all ships that port with crude oil all put into the same pipelines goes to the refineries gets you refined and continues it mary way across the us, its all mixed from different tankers. then "shell" goes to "withdraw" what they put in(could be exxon or bp's or....) they take it to(told you i forgot the name) and add "their" dettergent, and thats whats supposed to make it better. to much detergent can have negative effects though, just like too much bleach in the wash...go to pull your socks on(if you wear them) and they tear(i know youve been there). it all about the brand name game. i will agree though their are diffirent tier levels 1,2,and3 not sure but i believe it comes from the types of detergents used and possible condinsation. maybe i watch to much tv and not enough mowing, but that was from the discovery and it made me believe...or not believe the hype.

9. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Did it run fine when you put Speedway Premium in it ?

I try and not buy BP (British Petro.) Why send $$$ to the Queen. :usflag:

10. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Some arabs were busted for pumping less than what showed on the pump last year down in Hudson, Mi. on 127.