1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

It's Official!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ground Pounder, Jan 31, 2001.

1. Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder LawnSite Member

Today I received word from my banker that my presentation was a success and my loan was approved. I am now officially in business. My next step is an aggressive marketing campaign and to go shopping.

The goal for my first season is 40 customers. Here is my shopping list.

6'x12' utility trailer
    Exmark Hydro HP 'Turf Tracer' 52"
    Exmark Belt HP 'Metro' 36"
    Red-Max Hand Held Blower
    Echo Split-Boom w/string trimmer and edger
    Misc. tools and spare blades

I have learned much from you guys. No sense in re-inventing the wheel, right?
  2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

3. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Mow power to ya'
  4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Way to go Ground Pounder, I wish you much success in the business.
  5. Congratulations, Ground Pounder. Have you thought about a little bigger trailer, you can quickly outgrow a 12 footer. In my area it is not much more for a 16 footer. I would suggest that you get one equipped with brakes, they will save some wear and tear on your truck. Just my opinion.

Keep us posted on your progress, and good luck.

[Edited by Davis TLC on 01-31-2001 at 10:02 PM]
  6. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

But I'll back him up. I'd spend the little bit of extra cash and go with at least a 16' trailer (if your truck can pull it) You'll be glad you did when you decide to expand and even sometime now you will find yourself packed into a 12' trailer.

Other than that, stick with it and good luck in your venture!
  7. Trimline

Trimline LawnSite Member

Congrats Ground Pounder,

This sounds alot like my first season. I have a couple suggestions on your equipment. For one a back pack blower is well worth the money. Two I might hold off on buying the 36 until you find out how many lawns you need it for. Three
    not sure about the split boom. I love my echo trimmer 2601 because of balance and light weight. If I was going to buy another stick edger I would want the biggest engine i could get on one.

good luck.
  8. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Davis TLC, look into a larger/longer trailer. I bought a 12ft a year ago. I thought I would never be able to use all the room on it. Was I wrong, an extra 4ft would really help. Although I'm not going to buy one this coming spring, the fall looks like a good time to buy for me. Good Luck!!
  9. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Longer trailer and a ZTR walkbehinds become old quick....belive me.
  10. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Pounder thats Great News. Wish you all the best, If its in your heart to please your clients the best you can im sure you do just fine. Marks Mowing Service