It's Pick on ole Bo Week

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bohiaa, May 1, 2007.

1. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

HAY all :

I broke one of my major rules. dont work for friends or Church members.

I agreed to cut this Guys proptery From Church " he has a business that keeps him out of town a lot" He has 4 places, his wife called me and ask my wife, SHE SAID YES.... SHE "my wife" was told that the last guy cut it for 130.00 and 75.00. there's 2 houses on each proptery, 2 diffrent locations BUT it is still 4 Proptries to me....

So today I go to cut it,,, I have been to his house once last Summer in July.
    Well If ya ask me its stright up swamp land.... I got my mower stuck 2 times at the main house and the other one I drove away from I couldn't cut it..

Ok so now everyone jump on me for a while....
  2. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Did he pay you a fair for the work? If so, I'm not jumping all over you at all. Many of us build our businesses around family, friends, church members, etc. Obviously not everyone agrees, but in some areas, you don't have a choice. If I stopped working for all my family, friends, etc, right now, I would be out of business in a heart beat. Do what you feel is right for you and your business. Forget about everyone else.
  3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

that's the problem I wont be able to cut untill about another week or so...
    Most of the other proptery is sitting under water like 3 to 4 "
  4. M&SLawnCare

M&SLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing wrong with cutting for a friend or fellow church member. The real rule you broke imo is never, under any circumstance, agree to a price or to a job without first walking the property. No matter what the previous LCO charged or says, and no matter what the customer says, always walk the lawn yourself, and give him your price. These imo can be some of the better jobs, because you know the person and what to expect before taking the job on.
  5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Yes that too.........
  6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Your wife needs to know never to agree to take on a job before you have looked at it. She also needs to know never to agree to a price that a previous service provider did the work for. She needs to tell them that you will look at it and get back to them as to whether or not you can fit it into your schedule and
    if you can you will give them a price.
  7. M&SLawnCare

M&SLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Ah, somehow i missed the part where your wife, and not you agreed to the job :hammerhead: (must be blind since you even used capps hehe). I guess the only thing you can do is explain the situation to the customer and go from there (hoping he's understanding?), and have a talk with your wife so she knows for the future.
  8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

This is my case, except no family. Many of my customers are friends, and fellow church members. I read over and over again, "no family or friends" for customers. I don't understand the problem. The usual complaint is they are expecting work for nothing, or a reduced price. I have not ever had that problem, rather quite the opposite, they have paid me more than I have asked.

In reading about attitudes, I'm afraid the real problem is somebody wants to have one persona for family and friends, and another one for a business person. What ever happened to transparency and consistency?