Its raining.... no need for irrigation

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by NC_Irrigator, Nov 22, 2006.

1. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Its rainy and windy here in NC. Been raining off and on for two days. Supposed to rain another day or two.

Are you folks relaxing or being productive lol? I could leave the house and go organize something but i cant seem to get off my arse.

Im in the middle of two installs right now & i know they wont dry out for awhile. Ones a small spec. house and the other is a 29 zone custom that we cant seen to finish. We didnt work yesterday or today.

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Foggy here. Kind of reminds me of the first time I visited Eugene, OR back in the 70's.

Leaving later today (or maybe in the morning... depends since the wife just got back from visiting her daughter in Las Vegas and wants to rest up a day) for Antioch to spend Thanksgiving with my son and his wife.

3. zman9119

zman9119 LawnSite Senior Member

We had that rainy-crappy weather earlier this fall. Now it's 45 and a perfect, clear, sunny sky for the last 3-4 days plus they are saying sunny for another week here. Too bad I am done with all irrigation work for the year. Just doing the never ending paperwork and getting ready for the snow. Hoping to leave the office in an hour or two to beat traffic.

Hope every one has a good (and safe) Thanksgiving.

.mz

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

My girlfriend grew up in Eugene and is there for Thanksgiving right now. She can't stand the glooniness, which is why she moved to Colorado. I on the other hand, love it!!

Gorgeous today. Mid to high 60's. I'm not working, but am in my typical work clothes - shorts, t-shirt, and sandals!! Have a Happy Turkey Day!!

5. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

we've pretty much dried out here. What always amazes me is the number of people who still call us this time of the year and want irrigation systems installed. They won't be using them for 4-5 months, but they gotta have it done now. Sometimes I wish I was that forward looking.LOL
    It's always a pain to trench the wet ground and get it backfilled before it rains again and makes a muddy mess that can't be properly compacted and graded.
    Has anyone ever experimented with removing the soil from the trenches and hauling it off. Then just bringing in a good dry slighty sandier topsoil to backfill with. We are considering experimenting with that approach this year to see if it gives us a few more work days per season.

6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Never done this on a routine basis for trenches. We have jettisoned existing rocky, wet or organic matter filled soil and backfilled with wetted sand in specific situations where backfill stability is necessary such as where backflows or resilient wedge valves have been set.

7. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

We've been rainy for about a month now. As of last night, we have had over 13" of rain since Nov. 1st (the most ever in the month). We have a chance of breaking the "wettest month" ever record (+15"). That is a lot of water as we only get 36" annually.

We work right through it here as long as it's not flooding. (Keep in mind we will get 1/2"-1" of rain but over 24hrs.) I am just finishing a big install and have another ready to start.

Wrapped up all the remaining blow outs today.

8. We just had the outer edge of the same storm system. I have three jobs roughed in and waiting on the landscapers. Quoted a job , lined up some repair work for next week and went to the skin doctor this morning for a check up. Other than that I am taking it easy...:drinkup:

9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto here (no surprise).

I just finished a 22 zone install done by myself with a helper in the pouring rain.

We plowed the entire thing, which saved a TON of wet dirt hassle. I hate doing trenching jobs in the rain.

Vern, get yourself a plow and you'll save yourself tons of pain and headache replacing the backfill :)

10. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

Jon - nobody uses poly here. As I understand it plowing is only for poly (unless I am wrong). I don't know much about poly, but from what I have been able to gleen it seems to be best suited for colder climates. I would think it would be difficult to pioneer it into our market here, but if I could see a benefit I would interested in trying it.