It's spring again!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Aug 23, 2006.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Well some of my accounts are growing out of control after a small drought and then 5" of rain followed by several days of light soaking rain. It hasn't rained now in several days and the grass is still damp and I'm cutting it down to 3.5 inches in one pass and then having to go over the clippings as they dry. I think its worse than spring. This is very unusual for this time of year. Both mowers mowed it ok but definitely left some heavy clippings. I should have mowed it twice at different settings but it turned out fine after the grass dried and I dispersed it. I have never seen grass this lush in August. This is probably why the Hustler had such a hard time in the pictures I posted, these are the worst conditions I've encountered other than trying to mow during the actual rain. The grass was turning brown only two weeks ago.

hand-sm.jpg

2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

must be nice to get all that rain. i'm on the eastern end by ashland and we got a nice rain the other day but nothing since. grass is starting to turn "crispy".

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

gotta figure the lack of hurricanes this year is one reason why most of the country is very dry

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

We went about 3 weeks without much of any them last week it was a flood then steady showers for days.

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Ya..........
    We went from 3 inches down on rain to 3.5 inches above average and now.........crispy brown stuff that used to be lawns.

The relocation is looking more promising than ever!:walking: :laugh:

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

LOL, it's spring again... That's been my EXACT thoughts this week! I was way used too getting done at 2 or 3 pm (starting at 7:00) and now I'm back to getting my butt kicked! Long days, lots of grass, and more fuel in the mower...

7. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Tacoma, I know what you mean. I'm not too far from you, we're located in danville. The crabgrass, johnson grass and foxtail is horrible. It's unreal how fast its growing. Everything we mow is just a mess. I believe it looks worse after we mow because there is so many clippings everywhere then they lay there and turn brown and is just a big mess.

8. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

Its crazy up here to... keeping me busy and im loving every min of it...