It's started

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doc Pete, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Ran into my first Yellow jackets nest while blowing leaves out of Pachysandra. Luckily my blower stirred them up first before I walked on them. Came away with only one bite, right on the knuckle. Ouch, them guy’s still hurt. So, be careful, they’re out there.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

What´s worse is that when it´s dry, these little bastards tend to build their nests in the ground. Make one cut over the nest to stir them up and then the bastards are waiting for you when you make the next pass on the mower. Been lucky this year. Have only been hit 5 times. Last year I ran my hedge trimmers right through the middle of a huge nest in a hemlock. Bastards chased me for 100 yards!!!!!!

3. WashMoBrink

WashMoBrink LawnSite Member

My worst experience came while squirrel hunting in early fall. Stopped next to an oak to get a steady rest (I hunt with a .22 cal. Remington 541T target rifle), and they came out of the next which was next to my foot, and up my pants leg.

I got stung 12 times. with 3 of them in a rather "delicate" area.
  4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

carry u some clorox ,fellas . it ll take the pain away in a matter of minutes.
    like to have went crazy ,when my grandaughter got stung recently.
    never forget her hugs and words . papau
    fix it momma.
    still spent 2 hrs and 35 dollars on pesticide and caulkin to stop the suckers.
    hurt my babies and u dealing with a crazy man.dont guess they can read can they.:D :) least not the ones i ran into that day. about the only time i remember
    sadistically killing creatures:(
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Only your first, Pete...

...I'm on #7 already. Worst one was #4. Went right through the middle of a nest of YJ's in a Canadian Hemlock with a hedge clipper. And I was on a 10 foot step ladder.

Those buggers are really bad this year
  6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Well, since I do work for God (the church), I guess he's been watching out for me;) . Yeah, this is my first for this season. I've been lucky a few times. This past time was no exception. If I had been weed whacking instead of blowing I would have stepped on it, instead of stirring them up with the backpack. Someone up there is definitely looking out for me......
  7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Wife took a hit in the throat (outside) today. Lots of them around now. She also had some perfume left over from last night, next time she will remember.
    Shes ok.
  8. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I've been lucky thus far. I really try to keep an eye out. If I see lone yj's around, I take a moment to try and find the nest. If I find them first, they get killed. I have had some chase me before. Be careful out there guys. Good luck.
  9. dr grass

dr grass Banned

i use to be allergic to bee's and would run like a school kid running from the schoolyard bully when i seen one. however, in the last year or two i am just like screw it, if i get stung, i get stung. this year has been pretty good until 3 weeks ago. i got hit 4 times within 5 days. only 2 was while working. the other two were about 10 minutes apart, while i had a good beer buzz going! lol that buzz kinda killed the other buzz. one, while working, was during string trimming, and he must of been in the grass, he got me on the right forearm. the other one was my fault. my brother told me about a nest at the church on an electrical box. i told him to blow it out in the lawn with the blower. he told me to f*#k myself basically. so i went up to it, got the br400 going wide open, and ran down the nest ..... woo hoo!!!! felt like 100 of em bouncing off me ... i ran like a banshee over to my brother while i was patting and banging them off me. his blower was going so he immedately started blowing them off me. amazingly i only got hit once on the right inner forearm. i hate bee's!!!!

Shep :alien:
  10. I got my first one a week before the expo in KY.

Right on my damn eye lid. OOOOOUUUUCCCHHH!!!!!

Haven't had one in some years.