1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

It's that time of year again! "I don't think the lawn needs it this week!"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Greatdane522003, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Greatdane522003

Greatdane522003 LawnSite Member

What do you guys say to customers that call say "I don't think the lawn needs it this week!" and in the beginning when you talk to them for the first time you said now mr/mrs so and so, I'm here every week and they agree to that!!!!! What do you say? when you come home and ahear that on your answering machine:dizzy:
  2. hillndale

hillndale LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Well I tell them what I learned from all the hardcore Lawnsite folks: It's my business. You hired me to keep your grounds mowed. I will decide when and if the lawn can stand to be put off the weekly schedule. No soup for you! Next!

Anyways, I struggle with rain & fast growth for the past 3 months, a regular cutting is a pleasure.

Actually, I always tell my customers, should growth slow, due to heat & lack of rain, I will stretch out my visits. But it is totally at my discretion. I'm gonna mention this in a letter I enclose with this months billing that I may be spreading out visits. I'm actually behind on a lot of pruning jobs, so if I can move a few folks around, I can do a few other jobs I've been trying to get to.

Good luck-- Remember, You are the boss!!!

3. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

I would think it's fine they skip if they are willing to pay double during the heavy growth/wet season(s).
  4. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Seasonal contract..then they can skip all they wish
  5. imdawrlus

imdawrlus LawnSite Member

i hate people like that...i flipped at one today....
  6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Lets face the facts here. If a lawn doesnt need it the worst thing you can do is mow it anyway. I also can not charge for that week if we dont cut it either. Thats ripping people off and I want to sleep at night knowing I am not ripping people off and I am doing the right thing.
  7. imdawrlus

if the lawns absoloutly dead and it can absoloutly go two weeks and look fine and not take any extra work, thats one thing.

if their trying to save money because their used to seeing clumps, and now there are none "its not normal", it makes me mad.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I do agree with imdawrlus, so long someone isn't trying to sneak one over to save a buck there is no problem.
  9. imdawrlus

i'm seriously sick of people. especially the guy in my other post, but i wont get into it.

im sick of people who want all kinds of crazy schedules like 9 days or 11 days or something crazy like that. i dont know about them but theres 7 days in my week which also just happens to be the ideal mowing schedule. these cheepskates are just trying to streach out the schedule so they can save 2 cuts a year at our expense. i'm so tired of it, and if it means losing a customer over it, fine. thats one more headache off my mind.
  10. slebeau20

slebeau20 LawnSite Member
    from USA

My customers know if they call me and say not to mow, and then the following week rolls around and it needs cut twice you'll be charged twice. Now if I roll onto the lawn and I say it doesn't need cut and then it needs a double cut the following week that is on me not them. Everybody likes this idea so far.