It's the little things.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1grnlwn, Jan 6, 2003.

1. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Ever hear that it easier to make 100 things 1% better than 1 thing 100% better? Well here is a thread to share those little ideas you had that make things a little better every so often or every day. My fertilizer business has grown and I don't have a pallet jack. Moving one bag at a time any distance is a lot of work. I bought a two wheel cart and modified it to accept some single wooden palletes I made. I can pick up 6 bags at once ond roll them into trailer or over to truck. Saves time.

Mark

twowhct.jpg

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I disagree about your first statement sometimes! :D I have made many things and improved many others. I will post some of the stuff I've made, just that pertains to outdoor work. Made several radio control devices and electric door opener for my bedroom, switch to turn 120V on and off, whatever you plug into the socket can be turned on when the door is shut and off whenever someone opens the door! I'll start posting pics here in a minute...

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Here's one.... a deck extension I made for my 32" 8hp Toro rear engine rider. It doesn't flex pivot but it was just an extension. I later added a caster wheel on it but this was in the early stages. I just threw it together from some stuff I had laying around, a 19" Crapsman push mower and a spindle from a 30" Ariens rider deck and a belt and some steel to attach it. It worked OK but this rider wasn't a good project mower for it because it's frame interfered with the belt's path. If I liked it enough I was going to make a better one that flexed and had a better belt driveline but this mower really didn't have enough power to drive it as fast as you can mow without it so you really didn't gain any with it. I also tried it with the Tecumseh engine on it that worked alittle better but that engine "blew up" anyway plus that made it really heavy hanging out there. It did work anyway, just needed refinement and I didn't want to do it.

deckext2.jpg

4. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

slip scoop i made for my 1964 Bush Hog garden tractor. Works great and still does except I don't use that tractor anymore except for pulling competitions, have to switch alot of stuff over to use the scoop. I keep meaning to mount the scoop on our Wheel Horse. The hydro and hydraulic lift would be nice :) It holds about 3 cu. ft. and is especially great for mulch hauling jobs.

buckettransport.jpg

5. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

dumping

dump3.jpg

6. 1grnlwn

Well you could still change your handle to Rigid Deck.:D

This one is a third wheel for my track vac. The tounge weight on this thing is about 150 lbs. I used a spindle from my Lesco sulke(useless from the day I brought it home). Turned the rotatable tounge 90 deg. , welded two flat pieces with spindle size holes and made pull and steering handle out of old antenna pipe. It makes it easy to move around, even not to bad loaded.

Mark

tracvac1.jpg

7. 1grnlwn

Closer view.

tracvac2.jpg

8. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

30 cu. ft. castered catcher homemade for the Toro RER. I need to cut off about 8" of the top because once it's that full it is too heavy for the mower. It works great and is hard to clog (at 3" deck height once the leaves are thick they just pile up so it only feeds in so much, thus it never clogs although it doesn't have a blower). You want to make sure it doesn't get any more than 1/2 full unless you're on level ground!

torocatcher.jpg

9. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

48" homemade Vplow originally made for this garden tractor, with homemade cab, carpet lined with roll down jeep style windows.

hogsnowplowing2.jpg

10. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

the scoop fits the tractor above which is now a dedicated puller. this is the tractor that now carries the plow - '92 Wheel Horse 520H 20hp twin Onan, hydro with foot pedal (that I made, works great), hydro lift and lugs from my pullin tractor.

wheelhorsevplow.jpg