Its time for RYE Grass....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tjsquickcuts, Sep 10, 2007.

1. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Just a note to some of you southern guys, if you are looking for something to do this fall beside leaf blowing, you may want to think about overseeding Bermuda with Rye grass this week.....Tomorrow would be good if you are in Atl because rain is expected for the next few days.....If we get some good rain, you will see Germination in about a week to two weeks.....Will keep the grass growing fast until Mid December, and not to mention it will keep you lawns green......but you can't skimp....looks bad when its all thin......But just a heads up if you guys want to extend your mowing season because I have a strange feeling we are going to get a freeze early then normal this year....

2. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Most of my customers are monthly so let the bermuda get hit with an early freeze! Besides, I think it's a little early for Rye.

3. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

actually, right around the 15th is spot on... gets a good root base before the cold weather hits.

4. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually overseed the couple of Bahia lawns I still have around Thanksgiving here in Central Florida.

5. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

So would this work around my area? I have a few bermuda lawns, and would LOVE to make as much money as possible, as long as possible.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

A lot early.......need to get some temperature breaks even though all commericial is irrigated you can't pour water on for weeks to keep the rye going, and the bermuda would still come right back and that could be a problem. Still plenty time to plant rye, besides it is too darn hot to be stripping and raking and bagging grass.

7. tjsquickcuts

from Atlanta

Not here.....the temps are going to drop in the 50's at night later this week.....I have been watching the weather closely just for this purpose. Pro Cut, as long as you can get the grass under 2 inches, you should be good on all bermuda. With it being so dry this summer, all my lawns are around 2 to 2 1/4 inches with the exception of a few. All the lawns we are planning to over seed will be cut down to about a 1 1/2, all bagged, aerated and then seeded.....Here in Atlanta, the time is just right.....Plus, we have been on the short end of the rains this year, and we are expecting rain from Tues-Sat....need to take advantage of the weather.....

8. KS_Grasscutter

So then the bermuda would take over again in the spring, or would I need to get out there before the bermuda greened up and spray roundup? what about a yard that is mostly bermuda with some fescue, would that cause problems?

9. tjsquickcuts

from Atlanta

The Rye grass with start to die once the temps really start warming up....All the lawns I seeded last year, were back to full Bermuda by the end of April.....As for your lawn with Bermuda and Fescue, Rye grass will be great. It will help keep the entire lawn green throughout oppose to only have green spots where the Fescue is......But Bermuda will take back over completely. But please be aware that wet Rye is really messes.....the best time to cut Rye is during the heat of the day when its dry. It stains driveways and sidewalks if wet, and clumps very bad.....But on the other hand, it strips awesome.

10. KS_Grasscutter

Are there any disease problems associated with Rye? Have heard that before and wanted to know one way or the other before I try to upsell it. What is the cut height for rye? Also, could I overseed fescue lawns with rye? That would be kinda cool, be doing my entire route all year...