1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

It's your time to vent!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by TristanPR, Sep 17, 2012.

1. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Your lucky at a week my friend... My dealer is about two weeks out on parts, then two weeks out on repairs. AND I can do NOTHING about it as they are the only eXmark dealer for a good hour.Oh, and they decide once my parts get here they don't bother to call me, I should just automatically know.And then they are pissy when they sit on parts for atleast a week because they close at 4, and im usually not even done mowing until 5. Atleast my Deere dealer does right by me
  2. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds all too familiar. Anymore though, if I need to replace one part that they'll more than likely have to order, I'll put in an order for a 2nd one to keep on hand as backup. Better to have spare parts laying around than downtime.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Exactly, Im no Brickman with extra machines laying around. The dealer knows this and takes advantage of us. If we treated customers like this we would have customers would we?!
  4. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

I know what ya mean. It'd be nice if I had a complete spare set of machines ready at all times, but that's just not in the budget, so it's more like "do what ya gotta do".
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

Most annoying for me is all the guys out I see operating illegally, not paying taxes, insurance, or other mandated fees. Advertising that they can do the same work as us for a fraction of our cost because they have less overhear (the overhead they illegally don't pay) then they use an inferior product guarantee to the customer it is the same as what all the other companies use. Most these guys go out of business due to their poor business skills, but by then they have already hurt the industry by driving down prices and lowering customers expectations of what can be successfully done.
  6. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

Pre notification is also calling them, but I dont like talking on the phone, too many customers to do that, plus if I fall behind schedule I need to call them and tell them I will be out a diff day...
  7. TristanPR

TristanPR LawnSite Member

Wow thanks for the feedback so far!

Keep 'em coming!
  8. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Amen my brother you done told my story they do that crap to me all the time, they go behind my back trying to save a dime and then it turns out like crap but most don't blame it on me... Not anymore, and one might think that would be good. But what they do instead is try and hide it and act like they know nothing about it, still I get left holding the bag, they just don't blame it on me but the game continues as if it is me against them, of course I understand they're embarrassed...
    To a point...
    Why didn't they call to ask?

Keep in mind it's not always the customers going out of their way, sometimes el cheapo hack drives door-to-door "looking" for work and offers to do something for them...
    But then again, a simple phone call, why didn't they call me to ask?
    Yes, I would have told them if that was a good deal or not.
    But they think I'm in cahoots and I wouldn't tell them (and sometimes I won't but that's because they STILL are trying to play it off).

Crazy of it is, half the time it's not even such a good deal!
    More than once has it happened that the customer paid MORE to get a hack job done, at times a LOT more!

It always costs X amount of money to do Y amount of work, plus materials, there's no getting around the basic costs.
    And so if someone offers to do it for less, then somehow or another they are also GETTING less.

I find the failure to understand this simple concept irritating.
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012