Itty bitty gates on small lawns? What do you do when cant fit Z thru?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by barringtonbrothers, May 1, 2004.

1. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

Ive got a lawn that got to be close to half a acre in the back with a fence running around the whole thing. The gate was 1inch to small on both side to get my 52inch z in there. The lady trusted me and let me modifie her fence. Now she has a section of fence big enough to drive a truck thru and you cant even tell. We hid the latches inside the fence, and unless you look real closely you have no idea their there. What do you guys do? Im to heavy to use my velke with a belt dive, and I have to double cut it even when I cut it twice a week! Im just glad she was so nice and trusted me, I love her as a customer. Any of you guys run in to this problem.

2. youngdude

youngdude LawnSite Member

You said you have a 36 inch, get off the Z and use it. I had to cut a 3 acre lot with my 48 inch. A little walking never hurt anyone.

3. barringtonbrothers

No it wont hurt any thing but my wallet. Yeah I could walk it twice with my walk behind, Ive done it many times before I got my Z but why walk it when I can ride it. I used to cut a hilly 2 anda 1/2 acres with a walk behind. But why do that when you got a z that can do it in less than half the time. I can trim, edge, mow the front, and back and blow in the time it takes me to walk the back yard twice. I solved my problem by using my head and the trust I had deaveloped with my customer. I am curious what other companies do.

4. youngdude

is it a chain link fence?

5. barringtonbrothers

Nope its a nice wooden one with planks on each side.

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

barringtonbrothers,

If I came across that situation, I would do the same. Sure you could use a 36" mower but why not use the 52" if it could be possible.

Youngdud,

Sure walking never hurt anyone but when time is money....

7. youngdude

Have no clue what to do if its a wooden plank fence.

8. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

This is on rental property and I know the owner.
    Had this guy renting there who kept saying he was going to enlarge this gate. Said he used to work for a fence co, and could get scraps to add a 8' gate, 36" in place now.
    He also said he wanted it cut every 10 days..but call first. He never has money until friday. So most of the time he puts me off and his lawn is over grown, last week was the worst. Heck the fence roll is overground too.
    So, I unbolted his chainlink fence from the gate, cut back the growth and drove my Z right in (my only WB is a 22").
    Put the fence back together and collected, he says how'd you get that mower back there??...I made my own gate, next time it's this high and your gate's not installed, I need to raise you $10.
    We"ll see.

9. barringtonbrothers

Yeah doing that is a option, but it also takes some time to take the fence apart to go thru which really sucks. But you got to do what ya gotta do.

10. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish I knew more about chain link fence widening. I widened my backyard gate over the Winter. I worked out like a champ but there was a little luck involved. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it on someone else's property. Any advice or links?