1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ivan Cleanup Questions...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grasssin, Sep 13, 2004.

1. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

With Ivan bearing down on the Gulf Coast sending everyone in a thousand mile radius racing for Home Depot, I have a few questions...

Seeing that the tracking is going to supposedly bring Ivan right over me, I went out and bought a more powerful chainsaw for the "just in case scenario"

Plan is to get up after the cane leaves us and going door to door,or client to client (depends on who calls first) and removing trees etc etc etc...

Problem is I have no idea how much to charge for that type of cleanup. I know in my area tree companies charge an arm and a leg for removal of upright trees, which I will not touch of course, something like $700 for a 100' pine tree.

I am not going to be stupid about what I am getting myself into to (nothing that will cause more damage, nothing around eletrical wires etc etc)

Any help or experience with this greatly appreciated..
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Charge a cheap but fair price. The people there have gone through enough, so don't try to get rich on others misfortune. You will be rewarded at a later date. maybe next yr with some more work at a more profitable price.

3. grasssin

That is why I am asking, I dont want to rip anyone off due to their misfortune, but at the same time make some money...when my car breaks down, the mechanic doesnt cut me a break because I was late to a job interview.
  4. satch

satch LawnSite Member

GRASSIN, just charge your regular hourly rate $25 $45 or what ever the market is in your location.hope you and your family are safe.
  5. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Well, for me to mow a yard that takes an hour, I get $60.00.

For me to swing a chainsaw for an hour, requires much more labor, therefor, more money. I would be giving them a break at $60.00 per hour, which is what I plant to do, if we make it through Ivan ok. I think it's a very fair price.
  6. grasssin

I agree with you elephant, I get $55 an hour, but chainsawing and manualy moving the debris is a whole different ball game than simply mowing a yard.

Probably going to have six guys working, with three chainsaws going at once... at least $85 an hour.

I dont know, now they are saying that Ivan is going to swing towards New Orleans, who knows until it hits...

Also was wondering about anything that I needed to know before the cleanup begins that I am overlooking...