1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I've been doing it all wrong

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by two_planks, May 9, 2004.

1. two_planks

two_planks LawnSite Member

I just came to the realization that I've doing things very wrong. I've been hiring people to sell my buissness for me so that I have work to do, mainly out of the idea that the only way things will get done right is if I do them my self. The problem is that nobody can sell my buissness as well as I can because nobody believes in it or knows as much about it as I do and I've gotten so caught up in doing the work that I haven't been taking the time to focus on managing and growing my buissness. As much as I love doing the work I think I need to focus on training people to do work my way and then devote my energy to marketing and growing my company or I will never reach my full potential. I don't know if I'm really looking for comments on this idea or if this just seemed like a good place to say what's on my mind but I definately need to change the way I run things.
  2. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like a lesson many ofus could learn from
  3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi two_planks,

If you have time, review the book The E-Myth. This is something that is discussed.
  4. mjoaaa

mjoaaa LawnSite Member

#1 mistake I have found employeers have done wrong is pay there employee to poorly. Why would anyone want to care about your business when the business doesn't care about them.

Try offering your sales rep a descent salary (by now you'll probably need to get a new one) then offer a residual like 3% on every time you do a service they sold to that client. All the sudden your employee cares because it is there money that is lost when the client isn't happy, there referral they lost because client wasn't happy, etc.

Remember your employee(s) is your number 1 asset, and without them you won't be able to function or come across as a good company. I ran a marketing department for 1 year and half. The guy hire me to establish the marketing department after he tried and was having to hire someone every other day. I told him I would increase his revenue by $20,000 in profits if he let me do what I had to do. I came in and raised the current sales team commissions, hire 6 telemarketers for $1.00 more an hour and added incentive plans. In fact I even took a percentage of my commissions and paid it to my employees. I showed my employees that the company was dedicated to them and that there boss cared about them, when I did I raised profits over $50,000 in 3 months. The best part, not 1 person every quit on me! When you treat your employee like your friend, client, and even like a part of the owner of the company you will achieve amazing results. The sad part is my boss went to Europe came back and decided to move the business to another state. Offered a great relocation package but I didn't want to move my kids to a new school. Lost the best paying job every had and an awesome christmas bonus to look forward to.

Also always remember to be positive around your employees. Nothing worse than a mom and pop shop where mom and pop argue in front of there employees.

Oh, give them one time incentives like for every sale they make you'll give them a lottery ticket. A cheap great way to get them motivated.

If you have questions about getting more from your employees feel free to ask. I will be happy to help as I take a niche in human resources...
  5. two_planks

two_planks LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice, but I already pay them very well. I already have very good incentives in place. I already pay them a residual as long as they still work for me (not the 3% you suggested but 5%). I haven't done lottery tickets yet but I did use them when I ran a door to door sales team several years back and your right little things like that can make a huge difference. I was damn good at that job but I didn't pull in any numbers like your saying you did. I bet I could learn a thing or two and I will for sure ask you for any advice when I need it.

Reading it right now and it makes a lot of sense. It's really hit home so far because its almost like Mr Gerber is telling my story.
    BTW I downloaded the trial version of Gopher yesterday. I haven't tried using it yet but I have browsed through the program and it seems like its pretty slick.
  6. mjoaaa

mjoaaa LawnSite Member

Well good luck, you'll find the right way. Alot of business is trial and error. You learn from your mistakes and move on, and that is what being wise is all about.

PS: The numbers are pulled in increased so high because the average commission on a mortgage was about $3,000. A little more difficult to sell a $3,000 dollar mowing job every day! :eek:)
  7. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

maybe, but at least your doing honest work.