I've been lowballed, this guy is a joke...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 65hoss, Jun 6, 2001.

1. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

A commercial account that I inherited last year decided to get someone cheaper. And Boy did they. This account had a 12 month contract about 3 years ago, but since then the other guy never worried about it and so neither did I. They stopped us from cutting yesterday. Told me they were dropping my services. I talked to the "NEW" office mgr this morning. She said that the part-timer that cuts the property next to them offered to do theirs much cheaper. Wanted me to met his price. Here are the details of the property:
    Cutting 2 manhours
    4 yards of mulch in the spring
    Nothing else because they are too cheap.

My price was only $150 per month. It was low, but like I said I inherited it.
    They don't want to pay during the winter because there is nothing to do. I tried to explain it was divided out per month. So here are their new lawnboy #.
    Lowballers numbers:
    cutting=$35 per cut every 2 weeks
    mulch= $78

I told her that the cost of business made this amount crazy. I asked if he had insurance. She didn't know, but assumed he did. He promised that if anything happens he will take care of it. What a joke. I also told her that due to his prices he didn't know anything about expenses. $78 for mulching job tells that he's stupid.

I explained that I didn't plan to compete with this guy. I didn't consider him competition. He would be out of business soon based on these prices. I also said that if they were only concerned about price they better take him up on this offer.

Thanks to John Allin for coaching me on expenses recently. It gave me the confidence to say NO to lowering my price.

Eric:angry:

2. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

65hoss,

You did the right thing.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the first time the new guy gets behind because of rain or equipment failure the NEW "office manager" will be giving you a call.

NEW "office manager" will soon learn a valuable lesson: "You get what you pay for".

PEACE!

3. When they call back get $200 and a 2 year contract.

4. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Darn Tootin', Lawrence! :D

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

the problem with them calling back is the manager looses face.
    she will probably call one in the yellow pages an you are both losers because of her poor judgement.not to make anyone mad but she is 24-30 yrs old id bet. full of ideas and never wrong. i hope im wrong 65.ive dealt with many many managers,sometimes youd like to just shakeum.
    ps there are many in that age group that are very wise ,and many older thathave little common sense. later

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

You got it AWM. She's in her late 20's and has something to prove to the owners I guess. Cut expenses on the lawnguy to prove her worth.

I just can't believe someone would be this stupid. Oh well, I've always believed that when 1 door closes another opens.

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Thats why Mr Stone has a registered trademark after his name, I'm with him. Get it in writing and don't bend.

8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I had a parttimer the other day tell me "He could work cheaper than me because he didnt pay taxes on the money he earned"
    I would not stoop down to the lowballers level no matter what.

9. Freetime

Freetime LawnSite Member

Send them down the road to who ever is willing to take your leftovers (or behinds) off the plate and find better customers that appreciate the service and quality provided by you. Don’t waste your time fretting over it, as you say one closes and another opens then out steps the golden goose.

Good customers are like gold take care of them. Bad ones have decreased in value (from a dime to a nickel) since the gas increase, stick to your price and mow man mow.
    :eek: :)

10. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

believe us, not having this account is no big heartbreaker... everyone makes more in a year doing residential than this account produced.