I've Been Outsourced

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Green Acres Lawn, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Green Acres Lawn

Green Acres Lawn LawnSite Member

18 Years on the job, and my job will go away mid to late summer. I manage an offshore manufacturing facility for an American manufacturing company and they both will be closed to favor Chinese made products.
    I worked 3 commercial accounts 4 years ago for friends of my wife and made good money for the time spent. My travel made it impossible to maintain and build on the business.
    At work we had a service that did a poor job and we went to replace them. We had 3 biggies tell us that they didn't have time to even quote. That told me there was some opportunity out there.
    SO, I'M GOING FOR IT NOW.
    I intend to get as many accounts as I can handle after work and on weekends so that when the co. closes I will have something to start next year on. I have 3 commercial accts some residential and a couple of real estate connections.
    I hope that there are still some dissatisfied people out there along with the ones that haven't committed to anyone yet.

98 F150 (needing to be a F250)(seriously looking)
    6 1/2 x 16 trailer w/racks
    Cub M-54 24hp Honda
    Craftsman 20hp 42" auto (don't laugh, I hope I do burn it up)
    Husky & Stihl Trimmers
    Husky & Stihl Blowers
    Stihl Edger
    Troybuilt 6.5hp 22" push

All of this is not ideal, but not a bad start to build on, don't you think?

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Ive been there in your shoes, I worked for a furniture company 19 years and they closed shop and went to china, hold your head up and work hard and good luck, sounds like you have a good start and something to build on

3. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry to hear about your situation, but it sounds like you are in position to turn a negative into a positive.

However this brings up something I was thinking about recently. You've been outsourced so you turn to LCO as a viable business. Many who have been downsized by corporate america have also gone this path. There seems to be endless opportunity in LCO. But is that really the case?

We can find customers fairly easily it seems, but what happens to that customer base when THEY also become victims of offshoring and downsizing. We depend on corporate america being healthy to drive our customer base. When employees are well occupied with careers they don't have time for doing their own services like lawncare.

For every person subject to a corporate layoff, there are a handful of companies in the service industry that lose that customer at least temporarily if not for good.

Anyone thought about the point of diminishing returns here?

This probably factor less with those of you who focus primarily on commercial accounts.

4. Green Acres Lawn

Turf
    Very good point. How will we continue down this path? What will be left? They say all of this is just a shift in the job market. I hope to get as many doctors and lawyers as I can. They still seem to be everywhere. And most important, there will always be grass.

5. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I may be worrying for no reason since the analysts say the green industry will continue to enjoy growth for many years to come.

True about doctors and laywers. When I was deciding on a career it seemed like entirely too much time in school for what it would provide in the end. For years there were many in my field (Information Technology) who were making a lot more than lawyers did, but that didn't last.

Appears now the lawyers were the ones who where smarter after all. I suppose it will remain that way until doctors and lawyers are outsourced to India. Some of that may already be happening in the nursing field.

Kind of makes you wonder what will be left in this country as viable careers as we go forward.

6. Green Acres Lawn

Grass Cuttin Fool

Thanks for the reply. I'm not in the least bit ashame or dissapointed of the situation. I'm proud to almost be out from under this. It's been 4 years in the making and starting to get a little old. William Hung can have my job. He'll need it when his fame runs out. I hope and pray for enough success to be able to call the shots in a business that I can call my own.

Thanks again

7. Green Acres Lawn

Turf

I have an idea. I'm going to brush up on my soup recipes so I can be at the head of one of the many lines to come in the future unless someone does something about this whole mess.

8. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

it might not help much, but i'll sing a little song about it....

9. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

Keep your had up high. Now that your own boss run with with it.

Ken