1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I've Been Scrubbed !!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AltaLawnCare, Apr 30, 2001.

1. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I was at my full time work today (a car dealership) and was working late in the shop to make extra money for the lack of mowing I'm doing now. I heard a trimmer running outside.. I went outside and a guy was in a Honda with a one gallon gas can and a trimmer weed-eating, no mowers in sight.
    My trailer and equipment was sitting beside the shop parked. He trimmed around them and blew grass all over my truck - these were weeds in the gravel which should have been pulled out. Not to mention he left grass all over the step in front of the office.
    I waited for him to finish and was going to confront him, but decided not to say anything to him or the boss while I was mad.
    It's funny, just last week my boss told me I was just "another one of all those Dumb-*sses dragging lawnmowers up and down the road."
    I chose this business because it is very difficult and competitive, but how can I price based on my overhead and compete with this?
    If it was easy then everyone would be successful in it.
    I'm going to find out who this was and see if they have a license and liability insurance like I do - I'll have to find out who is going to pay me to wash my truck AGAIN !
  2. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I had a lawn job lined up and then I noticed when I went to cut it, that it was done. It was scapled and poorly weed eated. I knocked and he said that he found someone else. Well, the neighbor gave me the flyer and it said (preprinted) Lawn cutting $10.00. Then finally I saw him cutting out of a honda, with crappy equipment. Needless to say, the dude wasn't around again the following year.
  3. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

you mean the place where you work fulltime hired someone else to do there lawn???? I would be looking for another fulltime job
  4. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

That is kinda insulting.
  5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

That is one reason I cut part of one of my commericals on sunday morning, to avoid getting grass on cars and people. If I cut during the week and accidently get grass on anyones car, I blow if off. It's just common sense. Some people just don't care, I guess.
  6. Guest

dont even worry about the job theres plenty if you look for it, however throwing grass all over cars is a different matter..did you have to wash your truck? if so a complaint is in order or grab the guy by his neck collar and tell him not to spit gravel, to use a blower responsibly and weed eat so it doesnt get all over your truck teach him if he does it again then you have a complaint to the main boss doesnt matter if you have the job or not as long as its done right
  7. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

...getting hot, just go find other work. There is plenty of work around.

Here is a suggestion that I discovered recently: in the evenings, drive in neighborhoods you want to work in and look for lawns that are long and shaggy. Often these are problems looking for a solution.
  8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I wish I had my camera the other day, a guy on his Murry was mowing the Local Food Lion shopping center, several people had their cars parked at the far end beside the road for car pooling (the bus). Every one was covered, and I mean COVERED in tall grass clippings. Grass was at least a 1' tall and clumps everywhere.
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

No, he wasn't around. It sounds like he's down in south central Virginia doing car dealerships!
  10. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

was that comment meant for me cos?? by all means was I not trying to insult him...what is insulting is that his boss would go outside and hire, when he knows his employee is into the lawn care bus.