1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I've cut 2 deck belts in 2 days, HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eXme, Apr 21, 2008.

1. eXme

eXme LawnSite Member

I just purchased an old LazerZ Model # LZ25KC604 Serial# 220621 from my local dealer with a new Kohler Command Pro 25hp engine and I have only mowed for a little over 2 hours with it so far and have had to replace 2 deck belts already. I don't know if I am engaging the PTO incorrectly (full throttle) or if something is happening when I disengage the PTO (this is when whatever is happening seems to be happening and the cut seems to happen near the idler pulley and the cut in the belt looks identical on both cut belts. I am taking it back to the dealer tomorrow but wanted to know if anyone has had similar experience or knows what could be causing this to happen. I mean I could see engaging the PTO at full throttle wearing one out a little prematurely but not immediately! Something is happing with the pulleys that is cutting these belts and I am wondering if I need to pull the covers off while engaging and disengaging to find out but I am already over spending $65 a pop on new belts. ANy feedback would be appreciated.
    Mark in Nashville
  2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

You should have pulled the covers as soon as you cut the first one, let alone the second one.

It sounds to me like a bent idler pulley arm, or bad bearings, or bad pulley, and the belt slips up onto the edge of the pulley, cutting it.

Odd though that it would happen that fast, unless there's a sharp piece of metal in there somewhere.
  3. eXme

eXme LawnSite Member

I have wanted a Lazer for many years but am new to their maintenence. I wanted to look at the parts schematic but I can't find my serial # on the website. I will look at it closer in the daylight tomorrow to see what I can find out.
  4. mowin4$

mowin4$ LawnSite Member

i had the same problem with my stander. but mine would break with in a week.got tired of spending $$$ to have it break so fast.finally i figured out that one of the pullies was 3/8" lower than the other two.i adjusted and its been fine since.so now i occasionally check the height with a home made gauge.
    good luck
  5. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

Check and make sure that all the pulleys and even the spindle pulleys are level. Next run your fingers along all your pulleys wherever the belt runs. Look for metal burs or anything that might be scarring that belt. I would almost say that one of the pulleys is siezed up for it to break that fast.
  6. eXme

eXme LawnSite Member

When I replaced the first one Saturday I was noticing the idler pulley maybe looked a little higher than the others but I wasn't sure. I will get an old ruler out and check them tomorrow, so how do you adjust one if it too high or too low?
  7. RLS24

RLS24 LawnSite Bronze Member

id say check everything over real good to make sure nothing is rubbing anywhere.
  8. eXme

eXme LawnSite Member

Well I called my dealer where I purchased the Lazer and he said bring it on in and they'd check it out. Turns out it was a worn out deck idler arm, actually the bushing was worn out on it so he replaced it with the upgraded version which is sealed with bearings I think as well as replacing the spring for the mule belt to the newer bigger spring as well as the steering dampers which were both worn out to the newer ones. I cut for an hour and a half this evening and couldn't be happier!!! I had to order a few stickers for the deck and a cupholder while I was there.:usflag: Is it wrong to be in lust with a mower? ;)
  9. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Ahhh thats nice to hear! Those older exmarks were/are really nice machines arent they. To bad they dont make them like they used to.