Ive got a few Questions

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TriCountyLawn, Aug 11, 2006.

1. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I will be offering lawn applications for 07' Season and im wondering about Liquid set-ups. Do alot of you do granular and Liquid or a little of both. I know that certin apps are more effective in liquid form so with that said im asking about fertilizer its self.

I figured I have all winter to get my plan together (and equipment) so im just getting the ball rolling.

2. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

There are times when using liquid fert apps make sense. Like during a Round 2, when you are broadcasting many lawns for broadleaf weeds anyway. Tank mix your fert and weed control together and make 1 pass over the lawn.

Most of the year I prefer granular fertilizer and spot-spraying weeds. You can fertilize everything and only apply the herbicide where needed.

There are pros & cons of both liquid and granular applications - your state's licensing materials should provide details.....

3. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

if you have the equipment, and the lawns are not overly large, you could have the best looking lawns in the area if you go liquid, and also if you can get away with charging about 20% more. the only time i would not spray a lawn (fert/weed/ or whatever) would be in the hot summer, to many variables playing in the heat/reflective heat and soforth. weed control, grub control, fert placement, etc. are great with liquid. i have found that on lawn's of 20k or less, you can spray faster then pushing a spreader, by the time it takes to unload/load spreader and blow walkways.

4. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

The 20% more part is key if you want to be able to use good quality slow release liquid ferts all year because they are expensive. We have the ability to do either but usually only spray 1-2 out of 6 apps., those being round 1 and 2 when applying fert/pre/and post. The labor savings more than makes up the difference in the cost of a liquid slow vs. a granular slow release. On other visits we spot spray weeds if needed and use a granular just as a previous poster does. Another consideration is service calls, on spring visits it is very difficult at times to see all the weeds in a lawn if you are spot spraying. We have some customers that request all granular fert and spot spray as needed and they are the ones who usually end up calling for follow up weed sprays in the spring for a weeds that were not visiable when their lawns were treated.

5. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i use NBN as a slow release, and yes it does cost ALOT, but it also gives you a great source of N and it is controled. i have been reading (talking to a no sponser of this site) that their are alternatives to some of the slow release N. them being more of a controled release or helping in the control of the plants uptake of the N. they are less then half the cost of NBN. i like using liquid apps, because i can make my own blend of fert/iron/potash/micros/pre-m/weedcontrol/etc. why should you let lesco mandate your application of fert?

6. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the response guys. What kind of spray set-ups are you using? I was looking at this sprayer at lesco the other day.

[​IMG]