I've got an idea, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cl&l c.c. Tx, Mar 15, 2007.

1. cl&l c.c. Tx

cl&l c.c. Tx LawnSite Member

I think I'm going to do a little experiment while putting out my door hangers over the next few days. I designed them so that they have a spot where I write in price quotes at the bottom of the door hanger.

I'm thinking about going down one street and writing in my quotes estimating them with the price I see fit for weekly cuts. Then on the next street I'm going to estimate the same then tack on $5 more to the quote.

Basically, I'm going to do this alternating streets until I have put out about 500 hangers. I plan on logging all responses to see how much if any difference this will make.

Do you guys think this will be a worth while experiment, or a waste of a bunch of door hangers?

2. ooo

ooo LawnSite Member

I have tried putting prices down as I passed out fliers on a few streets. There wasn't much of a response difference. I've never really had luck with fliers. I get 20X the response rate doing black and white self mailers through the post office.

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Let me get this straight. Your gonna give out estimates to streets A & B. Street A will be normal pricing and street B will be normal price + $5????? I don't understand what the whole +$5 thing is about.

So far from my perspective, it sounds like it would be a waste of time.

4. cl&l c.c. Tx

No it will be streets A, B, C, D.......... and so on. The point is I want to see how many accounts I can pick up with my regular pricing vs. the increased pricing.

The $5 a week is actually very relevant. If you were to add $5 per account, per week for an entire season it would add up to a significant ammount of money, regardless of how many accounts you have. You should do the math you will probably be surprised.

5. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

i agree with J&R, it seems kind of like a waste and a headache, i would just price each lawn accordingly, but if thats what you wanna try i would say do 1 neighborhood at normal pricing then do the next neighborhood at the higher rate. but not in same neighborhood, neighbors talk to each other alot.
    also 5 bucks may not seem like much but to the howeowner its alot(lol, or at least they act like it is)

6. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to agree dont do it all in the same neighborhood

7. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

Most people around here think about per cut price, I can't seem to figure out why? So I don't know if $5 would be enough to make a deference

8. cl&l c.c. Tx

Yeah thats why I'm going to do it every other street, rather than evey other house.

I'm starting today, I'll keep you guys posted.

9. cl&l c.c. Tx

10. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

you've just gotta make sure Joe Schmo Neighbor isn't talking to your original client about what he gets charged or then Joe Schmo feels cheated....Thats playing with fire....you could lose the whole neighborhood with one false move...