I've got clover: How do I get rid of it?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by nmreich, Apr 27, 2005.

1. nmreich

nmreich LawnSite Member
    from NE

Hello everyone,

I'm new here! :)

I have a lawn with a large patch of clover. How do I get rid of it?

And while you are at it, how I get rid of DANDYLIONS?!

-Nathan

2. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

I know this will upset everyone, but clover fixes nitrogen, loosens heavy soils and tolerates a lot of bad conditions. I overseed with it at the house all of the time.

Once upon a time, I heard that the reason clover fell out of favor was because companies could not come up with a broadleaf weed killer that didn't kill the clover. So, the weedkiller people started calling clover a weed and bragging about their ability to kill it along with all of the other crap.

3. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

What experience do you have with applying pesticides to control weeds, your profile says you have 3 years of experience, experience doing what?

4. tjgray

tjgray LawnSite Senior Member

This is a joke right :dizzy:

5. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I don't worry too much about clover. Healthy grass with a regular fertilizer program just eventually overgrows it. Try spreading some grass seed in it.

Dandylions, almost any weed control will kill it. Is there a particular problem you are having with it?

6. Tvov

from CT

(Actually, I was just thinking that as I typed my response...)

7. Tvov

from CT

nmreich, do you have a "reef aquarium"? I just went to ReefCentral.com , interesting site. Gotta love the internet! Just a coincidence, I just got a catalogue in the mail today listing saltwater aquarium fish (already threw it, forgot where it is from).

8. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

This is true, the grass is always greener with the clover, because clover is in the legume family (bean) which actually fixes nitrogen into your soil!!! Of course most people want a uniform look and are willling to spray crap all over hell and back polluting our ground water, just so the lawn is uniform.

9. Macvols

Macvols LawnSite Member

Trimec Classic
    Works great, just follow the label directions, precautions, warnings, etc.
    precisely.

Mike

10. SoloMow

SoloMow LawnSite Member

Funny you should mention this about clover. Growing up in Southern California, I remember many of our neighbor's lawns were clover by design. It was considered one of the lawns of choice. How times change. Now, it's just a weed. Talk about the power of marketing! :cool: