I've got mice in my mower!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eddie B, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I pulled my bobcat 48" out of the shed earlier, and a mouse ran out from under it... I then started the mower, and 2 more mice ran out from under the front cover, I took the mower out front into the driveway, lifted the cover, and another mouse ran out. Here's a picture of what I found. Believe it or not, this mower was clean when I put it away last year.
  2. Eddie B

from gone

I didn't realize it when I first started sweeping out the mower, but there were babies in the nest. I swept 5 of them into the driveway by accident, here's the other 2 in the nest. None of them lived, they died just a few minutes after the cold hit them :(
  3. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

I'd pull the shroud and check there as well. I recentley helped a friend get his generator running. When we got it going itsmoked from under the shroud. some plastic in the mouse nest was the cause and tipped us off. Lucky he didn't run it an extended period as it wasn't colling at all air flow was completely blocked.
  4. Grass Cake

Grass Cake LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone C

Funny.....I bought a brand new dirt bike in 2002....i'd only rode it a couple times and stored it in the barn....the next next year i took it out and kicked my leg off trying to start it...checked for spark,gas etc.....then removed the seat and the airbox lid to find it full of straw.paper,mice!

Those things bed in the strangest places.
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that stinks :(
  6. motorider000

motorider000 LawnSite Member

Next year spread some moth balls around your storage area. The smell keeps the mice away. Works Great!
  7. Eddie B

from gone

I'm glad I didn't start the blades... I'd have the bigger mouse and the babies all over the place.
  8. old dog

old dog LawnSite Member

If you have a "toy" car mothballs keep them out of there too.
  9. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never had to hibernate my equipment. I operate year round. I kinda understand in that I once ran over a box turtle and blood and guts spewed forth and it almost ruined my day....but that was early Summer.
    I believe that if I actually had to hibernate my equipment I would put it someplace where rats wouldn't get to it. And if I thought I had a rat problem, I'd at least check. Youd think you guys had the smarts to check it out before starting it up. Especially if you had that crap all over it. :) lol :angel:a mind is a terrible thing to waste.... :waving:I hoped you learned from that experience. How could you start it up with out doing maintence on the thing? I mean, the least you could do is to remove the covers beforehand. Learned a lesson?
  10. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

I found some in my roll out tool box like that one time......tore up every rag I had to make the nest.