I've got to clean house, start new and smart

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by matthew horner, Feb 8, 2004.

1. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, I'm a landscaper 80%, and mower 20%, and I'm trying to reverse that. I currently own a toro proline wb 52 inch, a john deere wb 38 inch, and a hustler 54 inch shortcut, and a scag turf runner. I've only used the scag for one hour. I bought it for 2k and it has 500 hours on it and 10 hours on the motor. I figured good deal. I bought the shortcut for 1k not running, but will soon have that mower up and running. I LOVE my toro wb with sulky. I really haven't used the john deere ( i paid $100 for it, fixed it, and haven't used it). Here's the thing. I bought the scag with plans to use it as my primary mower. However, its feather touch controled! I REALLY want a toro or exmark z turn rider. I just feel and have heard that these are quality machines. I like the look, they both just look like a mower should. I wonder if i should sell the scag ( i think I can get more than 2k) and maybe the john deere, and get a 60" toro or exmark. Maybe I should even sell my toro wb and get a smaller one to compliment the rider I buy. But the used riders are almost as much as a new one. Whats going on. I would love to just get a good deal on a used exmark or toro in decent shape with less than 1000 hours. Its either that or just use the scag, and this mower just does'nt seem friendly to my tastes. Any opinions?

2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

You said you only put an hour on the scag. Try it longer and then make your mind up. sometimes it just takes a little time to find out you really like it.
    for instance you buy a new cd for one song you really like. You hear it the first time and think this cd sucks. you listen to it a few more times and all of a sudden you like more than just that one song you picked it up for.

3. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, I would def. try to use the Scag some more. You will probably end up liking it. BTW... I see you are from Sanford, thats only about 45 minutes from Raleigh, glad to see someone else from NC!

4. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

What sort of lawns do you have contracts to mow ? If you are mowing lawns that have a great deal of landscaping features on them - your Scag Turf Runner or a Walker are two of the greatest machines ever made for the close tight areas that usually are on this type lawn. Since you can trim on both sides of the deck and the forward deck will push back in corners and under shrubs , you can't find a better or easier to use machine than the Turf Runner. This machine picks up everything when the vac is on - little blower clean up to do. There is no big basket hanging out the side.

The only thing you need to do is use it for awhile till you get a hang to using the reverse hydro controls. Remember , it steers like a horse is steered ! If you want to turn a horse or a Turf Runner to the left - pull back on the left control/rein. The same for a right turn - pull back on the right control. You never push foreward on the controls - they are spring loaded, and forward control is set by the lever to your right side. After you put some hours on it, and can relax and stear without thinking about it, you will come to love it's agility - plus the lawns you use it on will have the most beautiful cut you have ever seen.

If most of the lawns you have to mow are larger properties and are far more open - then a 60 inch mid mount mower would be more practical than the 42 in. mower on the Turf Runner.

5. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Ok, I'm a landscaper 80%, and mower 20%, and I'm trying to reverse that???????????????

Why?

6. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah the Skag Turf Runner is a great mower....did I say mower??? I meant boat anchor.

Feather light controls match the shoddy construction, engineering, and dealers, (oh excuse me crooks, dealers ha!!)

7. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

im not sure what your saying as far as the kind of shape your gear is in. it sounds like the jd is a little shaky, your not quite sure if you like the scag or not, and your in love with the toro.

I would do nothing except:

a-keep the toro in good shape and use it as a primary WB.
    b-fix up the short cut and jd-make them reliable, running secondary WB machines.
    c-try out the scag some more, learn to like it, low hours, sound like it would be an excellent primary rider.

8. matthew horner

Something in my instincts tell me that I'd be real good on a toro z or exmark. I don't know. They just look great they look like mowers (like I said before) . But the scag looks cool! I guess I should try the scag out. The hustler is yet to speak to me, but I'm working on that. Just some wiring problems (I hope).

I just think if I'm gonna end up selling this scag, I should do it now.

My jobs vary from an acre and a half to 2000 square feet.

I REALLY believe in effeciency, and I know that initial cost is achieved if this is accomplished consistently.

Getting ready to start advertising, and want to be able to back up the claims I am going to make.
    Matt:cool:

9. matthew horner

Something in my instincts tell me that I'd be real good on a toro z or exmark. I don't know. They just look great they look like mowers (like I said before) . But the scag looks cool! I guess I should try the scag out. The hustler is yet to speak to me, but I'm working on that. Just some wiring problems (I hope).

I just think if I'm gonna end up selling this scag, I should do it now.

My jobs vary from an acre and a half to 2000 square feet.

I REALLY believe in effeciency, and I know that initial cost is achieved if this is accomplished consistently.

Getting ready to start advertising, and want to be able to back up the claims I am going to make.
    Matt:cool:

My machines are in good shape, except for the hustler (which will be in good shape).