I've got to get something off my chest...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by forgop, Jan 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forgop

forgop LawnSite Member

I'm going to start up in the biz this spring and reading a lot of posters on this board is hilarious. I'm not going to take away from the quality of work anyone here does or how hard you work.

However, many on here always complain about not being regarded as professionals, but after having lurked for almost a couple of months now and added a little to the discussion, I must tell you this. A number of people on this board just don't get it in their posts as a lot of people can't even spell correctly. I hope your flyers and other methods of communication with your clients don't read like the same garbage a few post on here.

It's this kind of stuff that holds you down as being considered a professional when you don't know the correct use of words. If you want to learn more, here is a site that a lot of you should check out to learn the differences between they're, their, and there among many others. And one last thing...quit saying "I seen". Sound like a professional to be a professional.

2. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

REAP WHAT YOU SOE: Thanks. Next time check your own post before you critique others. biz :angry: and lurked- a real professional word :blob3:
  3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

So being professional is hitting the spell check? And why lurk 2 years to decide if your going to mow lawns for a living? Its not rocket sceince.
  4. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Do you feel better now? Keep in mind that we are all just communicating with a keyboard. We are not talking, or writing a letter to a customer. You do not have to be a grammar teacher to be a professional lawn care company. Some guys have secretary's or wifes that handle the office work.

I think you are nit picking. I am not perfect at grammar, but I noticed a poorly worded sentence in your post. I highlighted it for you. I also noticed a bunch of run on sentences (i'm bad for that too, but i'm not the one making a big deal) and bad punctuation. You also used slang in your post. I hope you don't use slang while talking to customers.
  5. forgop

forgop LawnSite Member

Biz=slang term

Lurked-Have you not just read a forum before finally ever posting? Maybe you should look it up.

Come back when you really have something on me...
  6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I think one of the better memories I have from high school is when my English teacher who was a total ass like you was taken to jail. He wrote a 16-year-old girl a note and said he would raise her grade if she would meet him at a hotel. So he got to leave in disgrace lost the wife a 30 year pension and of course his job. Yes hand writing experts will get you every time that said he did use proper words and had no spelling mistakes in that note.

I realize the point you were making was a about those of us crying about looking professional well to that I could not care less. I am a successful business owner not some white collar wuss with a ego trip about being " a professional" so I do not complain about that ever you can check all my posts. Normally I would of let this one go but I cannot stand people that think proper spelling in a chat room means something.
  7. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Hey forgop --- Good post, but get ready to take it in the shorts! You have opened a can of worms here. I for one agree that professionalism includes speaking with correct English and writing with correct English. I have noticed however, that some people have become more interested in grammer lately, and that is a good thing.
  8. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

I a reckon this here thing plum backfired huh?
  9. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I agree with you, although a lot of people on here won't and will say when they're just posting here on the forum that it doesn't matter. Technically I guess it doesn't 'matter,' since I doubt anyone's customers are on here checking up on the guy who mows their lawn, but still, I know what you mean. The one that bugs me the most is "costed," as in "the new mower costed me $7000." That makes Jethro Bodine sound like a Rhodes Scholar.
  10. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

Hey bomb, I agree also. I use the word aint from time to time, but thats because I'm an elvis fan and a southern man and its part of the dialect. However, I've never used it when conducting an estimate, or writting a business letter, etc. I agree that proper grammar should be used when writting especially, and see your point clearly.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.