I've got to screen my calls better.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yrdandgardenhandyman, May 19, 2005.

1. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Got a call just a short while ago. A lady wanted to know what I'd charge to mow a corner lot, 1 time. Her mower is broken. :help:
    I told her I don't give quotes over the phone. So I get there and it about 150'x20' and about 10 inches long. I told her 45 bucks and I have an opening tomorrow afternoon. She says, "Well, you're quite a bit higher than the others." I say, "OK, thank you." and turn to walk away. She says,"Don't you want to know what the other bids were?" "No thanks.", I said. Then I asked her how many had looked at the lawn. She admitted I was the first. I said, "That's why I don't care what the other bids were."

I think I'll go by a few times, tomorrow, and see which guy with the bicycle pulling a 21" mower is doing it. :waving: :dizzy:

PS I'll tell them to watch for land mines as she had 3 rather large dogs in the house. :laugh:

2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Land mines! That's funny, and accurate. We're developing a unique vocabulary of our own here. That one should be included in a faq along with pita, etc...

3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I've said it here before, I think many people lie just to see what our reaction will be. You did the right thing by standing your ground. I wonder if there is a forum out there where people can get ideas to scam their service people. Because many try the same dumb tricks.

4. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

We've always called them land mines and it still makes me giggle everytime I say it, hear it, or think about it :)

5. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Dog bombs, lawn cigars, steamers, come on let's hear them.

6. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

Piles of Sh**.

7. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

I think you handled it correctly.

However, this made me think of another topic, maybe for another thread. It is phone quotes.

Unlike many LCOs I have developed a system of giving many quotes over the phone. I have found that it works great!

People like the fact that they don't have to wait around for someone to come out, look at the lawn, and either meet with them or get back to them on the phone.

I like the fact that I don't put a ton of miles on my trucks and waste a ton of useless hours bidding jobs that I don't get.

I have found as well that it has increased my sales rate. People are more likely to use my service this way.

I save time, money and increase sales and customer satisfaction.

8. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

so are you going to share??????

9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

The potiential customer may have been trying to talk you down on price by bring up the other quotes. But you were there and I wasn't if you got the feeling she just wanted the cheapest price possible then walking away was the right thing to do.

Gravely_Man

10. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

vapoorise !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!