I've got your worst yards from last year thread.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rodneyskip, Mar 27, 2006.

1. rodneyskip

rodneyskip LawnSite Member
    from KY

I mowed 4 accounts on Saturday - with all four saying "My lawn guy hasn't gotten ahold of me this year, and he didn't do my leaf cleanup either."

After mowing all of them- I now know why. Bad yards. Bumpy. Lots of obstacles. Rocks sticking out of the ground just high enough to let your blades hit. Ditches with impossible culverts. Overgrown fencerows. Flowers planted in the middle of nowhere- scattered enough that you have to trim all around them. Toys, Swingsets, waterhoses, dog leashes, all left out and the list goes on and on.

It is easy to see why they won't call back. Problems yards that are so much hassle that no one in their right mind wants to do them.

Now they are my problem- at least until I can replace them with better clients.

Thanks to everyone who dropped all their difficult yards! :hammerhead:

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

would it still be "difficult" if you doubled your price, and got the jobs? see what i mean when i say, the price has been set?

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Good to see you back BobbyGedd

4. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Also, you could just tell them to have all toys, hoses trash picked up before you come or you will need to charge them extra for it. It will either be picked up next time or you can charge 10 - 15 dollars more for doing clean-up before you can start.

5. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

yep, lawn co's don't usually just stop "showing up"-without a good reason (non-payers, crappy lawns, swingsets, windmills, fences...etc)....every time I hear this, it makes me wonder..I had a bunch of those dumps early on..as long as they pay they will at least bring in some cash.

6. rodneyskip

rodneyskip LawnSite Member
    from KY

That's right lawnpro! The worst house is also the owner of a NICE commerical account. If I drop the house, i will surely lose the commercial as well, (and his mother's house, and aunt's house). So all in all he is worth it, but only because of the other business he brings in.

But that is not the point of this post- it is the musical chairs that LCO's play with their bad accounts- they drop them for better accounts, then more desperate guys come in and get the bad ones until they can cherry pick a few.

Have you never landed an account that after the first mow you understand why the last guy quit showing up?