1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I've had it.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shorty7616, Apr 20, 2005.

1. shorty7616

shorty7616 LawnSite Member

I have been mowing this one property for 6 years, The owner has become somewhat unreasonable in the past year or two. During the summer he opens at 9:30, well its a putt putt place so customers walk around, meaning that we need to be done by 9:30 on the inside- so we have to start by 7:30. There will be days that he opens up at 8:45 or 9:00, so we have to work around daycares, etc. other days he complains because the grass was wet from the dew and its all over the fence and lights. One thing after another.

I decided to raise his price 5% this year, he wasn't happy about it but who cares. Well, I just got a voicemail saying that I don't blow out the lights (these light up the landscaping and putting greens) and its causing the lights to short out. I have NEVER blowns out the lights....he has become lazy over the past year and won't replace the lights, basically hes trying to get me do more work....and justify the 5% increase.

I have had it, its a small issue, but I am about ready to drop him. Especially since this is my last year doing this.

Whats everyone else's take?
  2. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Once a PITA...always a PITA. Raise the rent on him again and tell him the increase is for "extra services". If he drops service, so be it. If he accepts the additional price increase...blow out the lights.
  3. Rob's landscaping

Rob's landscaping LawnSite Member

Good for you! Being your last year of grass my last one too it's to much :blob3:
  4. TeamFla

TeamFla LawnSite Member

I agree,

Ask for more $$ to compensate or let it go.
  5. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

How many lights are u talking about here. If its just a few and it doesnt take very long, I see no reason to blow them out. If its true that they are "shorting out" as a result of mowing, I would think its your responsability to correct it. If it takes much time, I would add it in the price.
  6. shorty7616

Its probably 15-20 lights that are near the ground, and another 60-80 that are higher up.
    I have been doing this 6 years, never a complaint about this grass in the lights. Not to meantion he has a blower. He actually took this biz. over 3 years ago,a nd its gone downhill, he won't do much main., his employees acuse me of breaking things.

Also, the price that I give him is probably alot less than what most others would charge, I personally think he's just riding me until he finds someone else.

I was there last week, and a guy with an EMPTY landscape trailer pulled up, looked around, and asked me for the owner......

7. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Are you using any type of OCDC, or is the grass from line trimming?
  8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

In my days as a Plant Manager my moto was "If in doubt, toss them out" I fired guys for some very small reasons.
  9. shorty7616

I was there yesterday, and the grass was in 6 of the lower lights. He was too lazy to even clean them out when he changed the bulbs. How do I know he changed the bulbs, well he left the light bulb boxes laying around the property, along with all of the other trash he never picks up.

The property should be picked up daily, and he just refuses to do it, and he doesn't want to pay for it. So I pick up the large items, and leave the rest.

It also takes 3 hours to do by myself, so its pretty draining.....I'm just not motivated anymore. The reason I'm having trouble making the decision is the fact that its my largest property and most revenue.

"I'm in doubt, I'm gonna toss him out"
  10. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Bye Bye to the PITA. I can't believe someone with a high traffic area would just leave the trash laying there. That is lazy. Even if it is a big property is the cost of the headache medicine outweighing the extra income :p