I've had it!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Joe Smith, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Joe Smith

Joe Smith LawnSite Member

over 30 years as an IT professional. don't want to do it anymore. The fact is i need another 4 years to maximze benefits. So i'm looking to start part time.

No longer a spring chicken at 53, but in good shape and healthy.

Just want to start out basic with maybe ~5 yards a week that can be done after work and weekends.

Planning on using my p/u with quality 21" mower, trimmer and blower.

Now because i'm 50+ and want to ease into this. I thinking a specific customer and yard type to make this work for me.

My thought is a mow and go service and limit my self to the garden home type. think $35 - 40 per yard for about 30-40 minutes.

Anyone have a comment on specializing on postage stamp yards. Usually elderly and/or single that just need, maybe not the cheapest, but a reliable quality service.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  2. BP348

BP348 LawnSite Member

Not as old but we have the same idea.

5 - 10 yards a week, after work & one day on the weekend @ $35 or $40 is what I'm look at/for myself.

3. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

ugh............................

4. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

I have all size lawns from town homes to large estates and you can make some good money on all if you get the right price. I work in town home community with the postage stamp size lawns I cut for $10-$22. Some I just cut the front yard like a 10'x10' with a sidewalk to edge. On a good day I can go in and knock them all out by myself usually in an hour and a half but I am using a 48'' walk behind on all most all of the lawns. For me its a great street $196.00 per trip in an 1.5 - 2 hours

5. birtchetg

birtchetg LawnSite Member

I have been a banker for the last 40 years and now I am mad because the economy stinks. I know! I will buy a lawn mower and run around for 30 bucks a lawn taking money out of landscapers/mower companies pockets! I will only do this for about a year till I realize that this isnt as easy as it looks and that I am not going to get rich overnight mowing other peoples lawns. But by then it wont matter because I will have ruined the relationships between at least 10 to 20 home owners and lco's. Now you guys give me advice on how to do this please.

That is what I read with threads like this.

6. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy LawnSite Member

As the economy continues to get worst, and the passage of the stimulus bill, more really good folks are out of work. Many will do exactly what we did; start mowing grass and landscaping. When the economy is good, it’s hard to get quality workers, and you had to pay a good price for it. Today, I could hire that banker for $10.00 per hour. So we have two choices:

We could ***** and moan about scab cheap guys coming in and taking accounts away. Or we can try and work with them. Most will be gone in a couple of years once the economy gets better. They just want to feed the family and keep a roof over their heads. I have no problem with that.

After a season or so in the sun, they will welcome any job with air conditioning and a close parking space. South Atlanta guys, who need help, let me know, I will help if I can. All I ask is that once you pull the plug, I can take over the accounts you got. You will not be here long, so please try and be professional so you don’t screw up our industry and make it harder for the next guy.

My 2 cents worth.

7. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy LawnSite Member

As the economy continues to get worst, and the passage of the stimulus bill, more really good folks are out of work. Many will do exactly what we did; start mowing grass and landscaping. When the economy is good, it’s hard to get quality workers, and you had to pay a good price for it. Today, I could hire that banker for $10.00 per hour. So we have two choices:

We could ***** and moan about scab cheap guys coming in and taking accounts away. Or we can try and work with them. Most will be gone in a couple of years once the economy gets better. They just want to feed the family and keep a roof over their heads. I have no problem with that.

After a season or so in the sun, they will welcome any job with air conditioning and a close parking space. South Atlanta guys, who need help, let me know, I will help if I can. All I ask is that once you pull the plug, I can take over the accounts you got. You will not be here long, so please try and be professional so you don’t screw up our industry and make it harder for the next guy.

My 2 cents worth.

8. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Good old southern advice...lol.

9. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

It sounds good but as soon as you fling a rock or foreign object at someones house, car or child you'll be wishing you were at the computer. What gets me is that it sounds so simple to just go cut some lawns, or go do a fert or spray app, or dig a plant in or whatever. Your on someones property, your liable for anything that happens. Or what if you throw your back out or chop your fingers off, what you think this stuff doesn't happen? It takes experience, knowledge of equipment and materials, maintenance, back up equipment, reliability of your self, licenses, insurance, and a boat load of crap I don't want to list. What happens if it rains for a week? You know what I never had a problem with these guys I just see coming and going, because they'll always be a customer wanting this type of service. But bet your very last dollar as soon as something happens they'll put your azz in a sling, guaranteed. All I have to say now is do it right or don't do it at all, sincerely, good luck.

10. SCAG POWER

SCAG POWER LawnSite Senior Member

Great another scab thread starting.Well don't forget to get your concieled weapons permit while you are at it. Because every one at this time is have such trouble getting and keeping customers. Not only that , people are steeling , every thing now , I mean even driving the trucks off, and all the equipment with it.