1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I've Had it!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncare3, May 25, 2003.

1. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a customer and she's a real @@@@@ She wants everything done for nothing.

I was cleaning the garage today and she says "get over here" "You have been missing spots of the lawn or your POS mower is broken. I am paying you $16 a week." I then said" The spots that have been missed are because of the dog droppings"

She said "God Dammit get over to my house right now"

I went over to see what she wanted to be done. :mad:

She wanted the mulch by the street to be swept back in to the bed each time even though it has NOTHING to do with the lawn. She then added that the bushes shoulh be weeded and the trees up in the ALL dirt area should be trimmed around(even though it is tree shoots) She also wanted ALL the mulch beds to be weeded around and included in the price.

I can't take her anymore and this upcoming week I will be dropping her.

She also added " You are just like all the othe morons cutting grass why should I pay the high price of $20 a week." :angry:

What would you do in a situation like this?

I am going to be writing a letter that states:

" Dear mr & mrs x
    I regret to inform you as of today 5/xx/03 I will no longer be servicing your property. I will do the services you requested last week for a price of $55-a week. If you have any questions please contact my @ (xxx)xxx-xxxx

Thank you for letting me serve you.

What do u think of that letter is is acceptable and NOT to innapropriate?

2. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Triple that figure and you will be fine :p

Drop sentence 2. If you don't want to work for the woman because she is a PITA, no amount of money is going to make it worth while for you. Of course if she agrees to pay $55 per week she is just going to find more things to be a PITA about that probably have higher price tags. JMHO

Dear Mr. & Mrs. X:

I regret to inform you that as of XX/XX/XX I will no longer be able to service your property. I wish you the best of luck with finding a new lawn service which you feel can better suit your needs than I am presently able to.

Thank you for your business,

3. Mueller Landscape Inc

Mueller Landscape Inc LawnSite Senior Member

4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

If she actually said those things and she really is that big of a pita. Why would an increase in price make things better. If I was treated like that no amount of money would make it right for me.
  5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

chris, dude--you are the neighbor kid cutting grass.

don't make a federal case out of this by writing some stupid letter to an old bat.

just don't go back.

based on who you are and what she is to you, you have already spent more time on the subject (by posting on LS) than it is worth.

6. Jimmy348

Jimmy348 LawnSite Member

Exactly what were you doing for $16 a week anyway? I mean the neighborhood kid would have probably charged $20. To make matters worse she addresses you in this fashion where.......
    Hope no one heard or saw what happened. Personal dignity (let alone professional workmanship) would have dictated that your relationship terminate exactly at that point and time. Nothing else said. You did the work in a professional manner, she didn't approve and now the relationship ends. No letter, no dance, no song, just goodbye and goodluck.
    Friggin 16 bucks :mad:
    Just my .02

(Just looked at your profile and it seems as if you are the neighborhood kid.....sorry)

With that said, you don't deserve to be spoken to in that fashion
  7. DLCS

I find this kinda of ironic that you talk about scrub this, lowerballer that and you only charge $16.00. I hopr thats your mininum but still I think you need to raise prices.
  8. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

It sounds like she was expecting a full service landscape maintenance situation (mulch, weeding, etc...). Why not explain to her that your price is for mowing only, if that is what you discussed. Maybe explain that if she wants full service she will have to sit down with you and work out a maintenance plan.

However, I have to agree with the others.... there is a line that needs drawn when it comes to mutual respect. What would she do if you called her and spoke to her in that way? She'd probably fire you is my guess.

Good Luck.
  9. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, that is my LOWEST I have gone.

@ first I though I would give them a break because I thought I possibly get the communtiy park and the husband is on the community assoation. I thought maybe I could kiss a little ... and get a $1000 a week park.

It turns out he wasn't the right one. :realmad: :realmad: :realmad:

I am going to be dropping it. I just want to get paid before I drop them because I don't want to miss out on that $32 :p

I also was REALLY pissed when I went into their house and saw @ least 10k in office equip and 2 lexux in the garage.

How can someone with that kind of money be so cheap? :angry:
    The rest are $20-25
  10. DLCS

Boy, you have alot to learn. The things I have learned is just because you show it doesn't really mean you really have it. I have customers who live in 500,000 plus homes and they are the ones who complain about a few dollar price increase. They are the ones who constantly pay late. Alot of these people have money because they are frugal. Just remeber looks can be decieving.