1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I've Had It!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lacebark Boy, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Lacebark Boy

Lacebark Boy LawnSite Member

I've had it with my boss. I am so ready to go full time I can just taste it. The problem is I make about $50,000 a year at it. I bring home about $3.000.00 a month which I figure is only about $150.00 per day. I ought to be able to make that easily with just a few more accounts. It is a big step for me. I just started officially a year ago. Can anyone give me any motivational advice?
    Lacebark Boy
  2. Red Hemlocker

Red Hemlocker LawnSite Member

Depending on if you already own equipment or not. If not, you most likely will not be netting $36000.00 per year on your own, especially the first couple of years. Add up all of your investment costs and operating costs. Divide that by the average amount of days that you will be able to generate revenue and this is what you will need to make just to cover your costs. Motivation cannot be given by anyone, advice is very important however. Good luck though.
  3. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

50K on your day Job is not just something to toss over your shoulder, does your employer provide you with a benefits package? If so that would probably add another 10K to what his outlay is to have you show up each day.. Think Hard before walking away (no matter how much crow is put on your plate).
    Your post indicates that you are a part timer at this point, another suggestion would be to hire a flunky to work with you and expand that business until it would be able to support your current lifestyle ($$ day job income). Remember GROSS and NET are two hugely different numbers, think about all the $$ you will have to lay out just to be in business -- equipment, repairs and replacement, uniforms, tools, insurance (for you as well as your customers) license, taxes, social security, unemployment ETC)..
    You are not being tossed into this arena it will be your choice, try to cover all the angles before cutting loose.

4. lawnyogi

lawnyogi LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

...I just quit my full time job also. I made over $70k (last year) working in a fine dining Italian restaurant as the GM. Problem is, I hated it... for 11 years.:cry: NowI can take my people skills and business skills and gardening skills and dive headfirst into this.

They have talked me into staying for a few more weeks past my original notice. But I am happy. Poor but happy. My wife is very supportive, and my plan is to be back in that ballpark in a couple of years. In the meantime, my family will eat beans and rice... but I will be home nights.

Worst day mowing is better than the best day in the restaurant. Okay, that might be stretching it a bit. But it is better for me.

Good Luck to you. Let's catch up in a year or two and see how it all turned out! There are other's like you, but you gotta have a plan AND support from home.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Are you working for a LCO now, or something else? You say "with just a few more accounts" so are you doing any on you own now? Just trying to understand you numbers. If you are going to try to make $50,000 in addition to what you do now that is a lot of work.
    What are your goals? Where do you want to be in 1 year-5 years-10. Do you hate your job or just your boss. Maybe a new job in same field?
    How much money do you need to live on? Do you support a family?
    Motivation--Close you eyes and jump in with both feet YEE_HA!
    Advice-- Ignore the motivation statement and think through the business first, long term. Overhead, equiment, maintenance, insurance, what is you profit after all your costs? What are you going to pay yourself? That is a cost and not the profit.
    50K is a big chunk of change to give up and I think that if you need that much to live on than you will be hungry for a year or so.
    I do not know for sure your area/situation or money needs, so that is a job for you. Do the math. Be motivated to work this out and good luck.
  6. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey man, weigh your options carefully. I do 30 lawns on the side, because I like, not love my current sales account manager job, but it's 8-4:30 each day, with great benefits, with a 35k base, and last year I made 35k bonus, hard to pass on. this year I'm slated to make a 50k bonus with current projections. Would I rather leave and mow full time? of course. Would I rather make that money and mow for now? YES!
  7. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Be real careful on this decision. I am just finishing up my 16th month at this.

First, you can't annualize your revenues. They're only there for nine months out of the year.

Second, don't assume that because you have gross margins in a day of $150 that you can make $150 X x per year. It just doesn't work that way. I have grossed over three times what I grossed at this point last year. I'm still down over $3,000 before depreciation expense this year. Last year, I made $10,000 before uncollectibles and before depreciation expense. Yes, I worked my tail end off for an entire year to lose money. Only 7 months left in this season and then it's over too. Looks like I'll be doing good to eak out a profit of $25,000.00 this year if nothing changes.

If someone had told me I'd be writing this 16 months ago, there's no way I would have gotten into this biz. But now, I have not choice but to try to make this work.

There is a lot to be said for being an over paid employee.

DFW Area Landscaper