I've left Kubota.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by LwnmwrMan22, Apr 28, 2013.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

After running ZD28's since '05 and then ZD331's since '07, I can no longer afford to run the equipment.

I had (2) '05 ZD28, an '06 ZD28, an '07 ZD331, (2) '09 ZD331, an '11 ZD331. I also had an '02 Kubota L4330 tractor and currently an '08 M6040 Kubota.

The '11 dropped the main bearing at 300 hours. No warranty, dealer says we were checking / changing oil enough. We have also gone through 5 deck gearboxes in the last 2 years.

We have done everything the dealer says (clean the tops of the decks more often, check oil more often than recommended, etc.) but we keep dropping the gearboxes.

I've had enough. I can't continue to purchase virtually the highest priced mower on the market and continue to throw $1000-$1500 in parts into them every year.

We have now moved onto Exmark.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Well soon enough you will move to Scag : )

Its too bad the dealer/kubota didn't stand behind their engine. They have a known issues with the rear seal. A 300hr engine shouldn't burn oil either.

Exmark will be a good mower for you. Eventually you will wise up though.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. CuttingEdgeLawnGuys

CuttingEdgeLawnGuys LawnSite Member

Just get a scag and leave your worries behind with those other mowers....the orange is always oranger on the other side (the scag side)

4. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I would have went through about 1 gearbox before I realized it was time to buy a Scag:)

5. stansoph

stansoph LawnSite Member

Kubota left you.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. B-2 Lawncare

B-2 Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I feel your pain, its almost like getting a divorce. business is business and if there not going to take care of you then it's time you moved on.

7. lilguy

lilguy LawnSite Member

I have 2 25+ year old Kubota tractors, L2250 and B8200 hydro, that have several thousand hours on each. Each with 60 in decks.The decks fell apart from use but never replaced a gear box. New production must be using lower quality engineering. I will not replace these tractors, replaced Hydraulic pump on 2250 and that's the extent of major repairs. Nothings built like it use to be.

8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Sent an email to Kubota corporate. I'll give them a week to get back to me. After that I write them off completely.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

Any response?

10. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

to bad, i hear of this problem with gear boxes, and wonder wtf you guys are doing. we had just as many and more kubota mowers with zero failure or issues, other than the older zd28s having trans issues from hillside mowing. kubota took care of that though no questions.