I've made the biggest mistake

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PCLL, Apr 21, 2004.

1. PCLL

PCLL LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I took on a huge Azalea job. I bid it for 10 hrs at 60 per. We worked 12 today and it's 50% complete. I've had the customer for a while now, so I feel I can admit my mistake if need be to get this corrected. Still, I must renegotiate this before I loose my tail. I need some constructive renegotiation tactics from some of you. Now that I've taken more time to look over the job I bid it at a 3rd of it's value. How should I proceed with this?

I also need to add that We ran 2 Echo SHC 210 Power Sheers for those 12 hrs. So I didn't half step w/ equipment or manpower.

2. robertyb

robertyb LawnSite Member
    from ga

Simple, you messed up. Finish the job and take the loss and learn a leason. This was YOUR fault. Not the customer's.

3. PCLL

PCLL LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I think you're right. I just can't help but at least admit my mistake in hopes he knows also. This sucks donkey balls. Honestly after doing this for so long I think I just got cocky with the sudden influx of Spring business. Lesson to be learned here, don't loose your head people.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

What in the heck are you doing trimming Azelea shrubs now anyways?

5. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Many have already bloomed and are done for the year. Depending on the variety, and if they are double bloomers, I'm about to trim mine in no more than a week or two.

6. qwikv6

qwikv6 LawnSite Member

PCLL,

Chalk it up as a learning process, although an expensive one. BUT if we do not fail at some point how will we learn.

Just move on and don't make the same mistake again.

Good Luck.

7. PCLL

PCLL LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

so you are all saying that i shouldn't bring it up, no matter what? here's what i'm thinking of doing. since the estate is huge and the grass was horrible maybe i could offer to mow the entire estate for the upcharge. there's gotta be a tactical way to get the correct price.

8. qwikv6

qwikv6 LawnSite Member

You may be able to bump the price up a little, maybe 15% but I would not make an unhappy customer out of them.

9. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

If you do end up eating the price differential, be sure and let the customer know what happened. They'll appreciate you for taking your lumps and finishing the job and they may even be more loyal.

10. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I would certainly let them know of your mistake whether you eat it or not. If you dont let them know, they will want the same service at the same price next time.