I've never seen so many weeds in my life please help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by The Cutting Edge, Aug 28, 2007.

1. The Cutting Edge

The Cutting Edge LawnSite Member

Alright guys this is the deal I get a call today from one of my clients today that says Jesse I have a referral for you swing by this address for me and give my friend a quote on his mulching, edging and weeding. So I thought to myself cool I could use a mulch job right now since the drought has my mowing a little slow. So I show up at this million dollar home and the beds look like the Amazon rain forrest, weeds are up to your knees in some spots and so thick that you can barely see the mulch (what little is left), then I look at the edging and there is none... So I get out the wheel and start walking the place off to get an idea on how much mulch I will need and it was close to 38 yards some of the area's are hard to get to some are very easy once the rain forrests are cleared out... I normally charge 100.00 per yard including minimal weeding and touching up the edges, but how in the world do I quote a price on something this bad? I wish I had taken pictures to show you guys this place... I finally talked to the owner of the property and he had told me that they have been out of the country for the past four months in Ireland to visit family and friends and their lawn guy was supposed to take care of the place for them but he quit two weeks after the left to go out of the country. I would suggest a whole tear out but the have some really great landscaping done so I now they wont go for that. Also once I do this clean up should I use preen or weed block materail? So if you guys could give me some type of idea I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks Jesse w/ The Cutting Edge

2. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Jesse
    Hey charge them a hourly rate per man on how long you think it would take. Then you charge your mulching price. You have a good price per yard but when you have to clean out neglect. Been there done that. Dont use weed fabric just keep potting preen or treflon down every three months till its weed free. It makes it hard to turn the mulch over each year with a tiller when there is fabric in the way.
    JOSH:waving:

3. The Cutting Edge

I agree about the fabric.. Since we are in the same area do you mind me asking what you charge per yard and I know its hard to give an estimate without looking at the property but about how many hours do you think it would take to weed this with three man crew?

4. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

Are these chemicals or what? I to have a client that neglects his flower bed and won't include it in his service. However he had me remulch once this year and I expect him to ask again next. If that stuff is a preventative I hunt some down
    Thanks

5. WALKER LANDSCAPE

Sweet
    That was a spelling error not potting preen, but putting preen and treflon down. It is a weed inhibator. You can pick preen up anywhere Treflon is usually at a Landscpe supply store.

Jes
    I would need more details size. area of town, "If they have been in Ireland for the last four months I have a good idea what part of town.
    JOHS

6. The Cutting Edge

Its out towards 5 mile road back in one of those richy neiborhoods by the Ohio river.

7. The Cutting Edge

Walker
    Did your wife or old lady or maybe her mom have a yard sale on Woodville a month or so back? The reason I ask is I stopped at one and was talking to a lady that was having the yard sale she said she used to own a tanning salon and that her Husband owned Walker Landscaping. Just was wondering if that was you? I live out by Stonelick lake off of Shiloh Rd towards 727.

8. WALKER LANDSCAPE

Thats me the one and only. :cool2:

9. The Cutting Edge

Thats what I figured....

10. GroundForce007

GroundForce007 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

now you know where he lives lol