I've run into a major problem....please help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jpicciu, Apr 10, 2006.

1. jpicciu

jpicciu LawnSite Member

I've been mowing professionally for quite some time now, and my dad and I just started our own mowing business. I've never had any problems with mowing with zero turn riders before, but our new mower which is a Cub Cadet M60 tank is leaving bad tire marks/ruts in the yard when I do my 180 degree turns. I've never had this problem before with any zero turn riders, and I know the yards are still a little soft in the spring, but does anyone know whats going on? I know I am not going too fast, because I creep through turns and it still tears the grass up. Does my mower have too much rear end weight? Is it my (the driver) fault? I need to figure this out because I bought this mower thinking that I would be able to stop and turn on a dime and mow to my hearts content. But right now I have to take extremely wide turns and sacrafice that clean, crisp, striped look that I always could do with other mowers. Anybody have a M60 Tank or know what my problem is? Any help would be fantastic.

2. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

make sure you keep BOTH tires turning at least a little at all times when turning

3. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

whats your air pressure in those rear tires.

4. wacamaster

wacamaster LawnSite Member
    from MI

You need to learn how to drive the mower properly.

5. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

lower the air pressure in your drive tires, and you ztr has too much POWER and Torque:weightlifter: :weightlifter: :weightlifter:

6. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

try useing a 3 point turn. What other Zturn mower did you use that you could do a true zero turn?

7. jpicciu

jpicciu LawnSite Member

The past couple of summers I have been using a grass hopper ztr. And I could turn that sucker around as fast as I wanted to and it wouldn't leave a single mark. Granted, the grass hopper is clearly a different machine than a Cub Cadet M60. Caan someone break down this "3 point turn"...I have heard of it but it makes no sense to me.

8. elamey

elamey LawnSite Member

When I was a kid, I mowed with a snapper.

When the grass is really tender and you are mowing on egg shells, be it wet or a tender type of grass, I think "turn the mower like a snapper."

Make broad turns like you would with a regular lawn mower. One of the posts above is correct. Keep both tires moving. Don't get the tires moving in different directions or let one tire stop. Either make both wheels go forward or reverse. To turn, you will obviously make them go different speeds, but if you keep both tires moving the same direction and make broader turns, you will not tear up the grass.

3 point turn = Stop....both wheels reverse (one going faster than the other so you turn), both wheels go forward.

It will cost a little time, but when the turf gets a little dryer you won't have to worry about it.

9. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

3 point turn. That is what is done on a tractor. Z-turns the idea is to eliminate that...I mean whats the point of having a z turn if you have to 3 point it?

3 point is when you come out of the cut, turn right (1), stop, back up(2), stop, and go into the next cut(3)...

10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

a three point turn will solve the problem..... a zero radius turn will tear the turf.... unless you can keep both tires spinnig, which ever one stayes still, is the one that is tearing the turf...

all experienced operators know that this is how it is done..... the point is speed, quality of cut... that a commercial mower gives... with practice you will get it.....the tank weighs much more then the homeowner model you are used too..... you just need more time in the seat.....