1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I've seen the light

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DuraCutter, Jul 16, 2006.

1. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

What I mean is that this site helps me a lot. It helps by reinforcing what I already know but either forget or stop doing. In the short time I've come here, it's made me think of how to run lawncare and other parts of my biz.

For example, I do post quite a bit about profit and proper quoting. Sometimes, I stray from my own advice :hammerhead:
    Then, I'll visit here, and the next day I'll do business and start thinking. I'll talk to my office mgr and one of my workers and a bulb goes on... sometimes it's dim, but damn it, it's a least on ;)

I've scaled back on lawncare since spring cause of the poor profit ratio. I've held back on any advertising in that department as I've grown the other parts of the business, stucco repairs, repaints of condominiums and multiple housing projects etc... Now in summer, I'm getting calls from condo projects that have a non compliant lco. They are mostly not making any money as their bids were half of mine :nono:

Now, I'm called in to take over. I get my price, get paid hundres extra do edge and trim foot long grass the other lco couldn't afford to do with the money they were getting. I walk away a hero, as the project sees me as a saviour. It's a nice feeling and a profitable one at that. payup

I know this is the advice a lot of good lco's on this site give... too many to mention, but topsites, m&m, David, 6'7" and others come to mind. It's funny how like I said earlier that I know the advice but it gets locked up somewhere in the brain :)

Thanks to all for the time you take to give others advice. I read a lot of posts and it makes me think :drinkup: