Ivy on tree??

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Gudtimes, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Gudtimes

Gudtimes LawnSite Member
    from VA

Anyone have any recommendations for the best way to get ivy off that's growing half way up a tree?
  2. Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete LawnSite Member

What kind is it? I've taken out Virginia Creeper and Poison Ivy by cutting it at the base. Take precautions if you're allergic!!! Pull it out as best you can from the portion that was just cut from the ground. It's not real easy but try to get as much as you can while it's still green and flexible. There will be plenty of strands that will stay in the tree unless you can get them.

Those that you can't get to will eventually start coming down over time. Make sure to remove them as you can. To ensure it doesn't come back I dig out the base as best I can and Round-Up any attempts it makes to send up new growth. It's hard work and depending on how big it may not look very good intially. Make sure to explain what you will be doing and how it may look to your customer before you begin. It gives them a heads up on what to expect.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah I take garden shears and clip the stems of ivy at the base of tree then just let it be, that is the easiest, fastest way I've found... Takes a few mins / tree.