1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ivy/Pachysandra Beds

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Fairway Lawns, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Fairway Lawns

Fairway Lawns LawnSite Member

I have a couple of accounts with large beds filled with ivy (english) and pachysandra, amongst other ground cover. I am looking for the best way to contain weeds and/or new growth.

How do you guys go about beds filled with mostly ivy? I think spot-spraying might work, but I'm not sure about preventing new growth of unwanted species. Is there a special herbicide made for these conditions? Any help would be great. Russ
  2. PlantSolutions

PlantSolutions LawnSite Member

Most beds with ivy/pachysandra and vinca should not grow many weeds. The vines should automatically suffocate the weeds that could grow there. If you get poison ivy in the beds, be careful with a killer because you will kill the English Ivy around it. You have to be careful with most weed killers in the beds if you want to keep these groundcovers. The problem I always encounter is little volunteer seedlings from trees in the area.
  3. NJSalesPro

NJSalesPro LawnSite Member

HELP: I have a client who wants his Pachysandras ripped out - literally, a field of the stuff. What's the fastest way to do this? Is there a machine to do this?
  4. Viseras lawn service

Viseras lawn service LawnSite Member
    from 6

any weeds that grow thru pachysandra or ivy we just take weed whackers and level everything out. Makes it look very neat and uniform and doesnt harm the ground cover.
  5. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Snapshot or Dimension 2EW come to mind, as long as the ivy/pachy is well established.