J-B Weld.........great stuff!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOMER, Jun 1, 2002.

1. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Stihl Br-400 had a crack in the gas tank. Duct tape in this case did not work:rolleyes:

Called dealer for price on new one: $81.00:cry:

Remembered Paul Harvey's comments about J-B Weld, headed to Walmart and got some. A few hours later and $81.00 still in my pocket I'm runnin' and not leakin' gas.

This is a must have for the tool box. I've never used it before but now I can think of a few times I wished I had it.

Just a tip if anyone hasn't tried it.
  2. bahiya

bahiya LawnSite Member

Homer I think the key is patience; I noticed that you mentioned "a few hours later." Every time I have deviated the least bit from the JB Weld directions I end up with a mess, so obviously you took the time to do it right. The round bars of epoxy they sell in auto parts stores (around $5) work real well too, and I have even combined the two, using the epoxy to fill into cracks (after kneeding it) and then used the JB Weld over the top. If your work surface is clean, this can save you some $.

By the way, where in Alabama are you located? My wife wants to go visit some family in Mississippi, and so we will be passing through "The Heart of Dixie."
  3. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

They crack near the filler neck.

Guess I got a bargain...only $76.00 each.

Stihl must know there is a problem with these. They should be ashamed of themselves charging that much.

They should give them away plus pay us for downtime!
  4. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i have had great results with the loctite 2 part epoxy and jb weld
  5. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

Glad you could get it to work. I tried on a Redmax fuel tank and couldn't get it to stop leaking for nothing. It was an extensive crack though.
  6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

yea i like ole jb too.:)
  7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

My old Homelite was 69 bucks new and I still haven't found a reason to replace it. I know one thing for sure. The replacement gas tank is less than 69 bucks.