J.D. 7-Iron Mulching

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenMonster, Oct 14, 2004.

1. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Well, not really technically "mulching", but side discharging with gators...

anyway, where are you guys getting your mulching blades for 7-iron decks?

specifically, 54".

2. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

I ordered mine from Power Equipment Warehouse.
    Ws not impressed with them... It took almost a month to get them and I never got any type of documetation that I had ordered them.

I do like the Gators

I believe that Lesco carries Gator blades.

Mike

3. Tony1045

Tony1045 LawnSite Member

Green, I had the same problem finding the "Gator" mulching blades for my 54" 7-Irons Deck. My JD dealer said that "Gator" did not make blades for the 54" 7-Irons deck?? Long story long, John Deere owns another company called Sunbelt Outdoor Products (info from my JD dealer) and they make the "Gator" style blades for the 7-Irons deck. I purchased them for $60.00 total and they look, and cut just like the "real gators". Hope this helps. Tony

4. GreenMonster

from NH

Actually, no, it doesn't. He said sunbelt wasn't carrying them anymore :angry:

they must have mulching blades available somewhere if they sell mulching kits?!?!

5. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeh, JD has mulch blades but they are the wavy ones that come with the mulch kits. I tried those they suck, now I use Meg Mo blades for my mulching.

6. GreenMonster

from NH

Why do they "suck"? Not fine enough clippings?

I knew you used Meg's, maybe that's the best route????

7. DLCS

Mark,

I found that the JD mulch blades just don't chop up the leaves fine enough to make them disappear. Any hint of moisture on the grass or leaves, you get the clumps too. Not to mention they just slow you down so much. yes, Meg Mo was the best route to make the 7 Irons do a wonderful job at mulching.

8. GreenMonster

from NH

Do they chop up the grass fine enough? Did you try them as doubles? Are they a hi-lift mulcher?

While I'm at it, what's the cost for a meg-mo set-up. Obviously, I can get this info from Roy, but if you have it off the top of your head, I'd appreciate it.
    Thanks.

9. DLCS

No, I never tried the JD mulching blade as a double setup. JD only makes one kind of mulching blade and really there isn't much lift with this blade.

Cost I think for Meg Mo's was around $210, for my 60".

GreenMonster likes this.
  10. GreenMonster

from NH

Thanks Mike, I guess I'll have to explore this a little more.....