j.d 997, 7 iron deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tonyr, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I've found this deck is great, best SD deck I've used, I'm happy with the deere stock blades, only there isn't a choice of several blades that fit, like toro make 5 choices for eg.

The very high lift deere stock is good, a lower sail, a notched high lift etc would be good options.

I've tried a toro notched highlift on this deck and it's awesome. shorter clippings, not thrown as far.

The deck is a very clean cut, even on stalky weed grasses.

has anyone tried megmos, or what combination of doubles have proved to be awesome for this deck to make it even better?

It is great now mostly, have you guys been able to make this deck even better, especially in heavy mowing?
  2. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to own a Quik Trac with a 7-Iron deck, 54". I found the deck always stayed clean. I mowed tall, wet, etc.., and it was always clean. We had it on the lift one time at the dealer for warranty work and it looked like I just cleaned it and I had not touched it for 2 weeks. In the Spring around here (Midwest) USA we get a growth surge very wet and sticky , it still was the cleanest deck I have ever seen. I sold the machine because I didn't like the way it turned but it was still an exellent deck!!
  3. Tonyr

I'm finding that too, the deck is actually shiney underneath, clean is one thing, but this is actually shiney!

Admitingly I live on the coast and the sand would contribute, but the toro turbo force deck which is awesome too stayed clean, but not shiney like this 7 iron.
  4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

The best double setup that i have found for the 60" 7 iron decks is using the stock JD high lift on top and putting a 60" Dixie Chopper High lift on bottom. The dixie Chopper blade is about 1/4 shorter than the JD but that doesn't matter since the JD blade is stepped and actually will cut on the same plane as the Dixie blade. I have found that this setup works really well on taller grass.
  5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Tony, glad to hear the new SD machine is working out for you.
  6. Tonyr

Hey Mike,

thanks mate!

The Dixie blade....is it a high lift? As high lift as the deere blade?

The deere blade on my deck is massive, wide and high sail, really moves the material, but throws a long way.

good blades, expensive though.....$43 each

Yeah Travis, I love the new 997, SD model, great thing! currently got a flat tyre, bummer lol. not getting any rear screen clogging issues or heating, actually, radiator even stays clean. wish I bought this in the 1st place, would of saved a lot of stress. I have no problem recommending this mower to anyone, but leave that RD unit alone.
  7. DLCS

Yeh your right the JD blades are expensive. Yes, the Dixie Blades are notched high lift and are straight, no step like the Deere high lifts. I bought my Dixie blades through Landscaper supply, don't know if you can even get Dixie parts over in Australia though.
  8. Tonyr

well I have great success with the toro notched highlift using a spacer, actually, if deere made a notched highlift it would suit me perfect. this deck on my grass goes great with this blade design.

I'll give your system a try, using the toro blade under the deere, and let ya know, it will be in long heavy feral grass mowing, I mothered the RD unit, I'm not mothering this one, it thrives on hard work lol.

nice deck, very simple design, love it.
  9. DLCS

So, the Toro blades work pretty good on the 7 Iron are they the same length as the Deere blades? I may have to give them a try. Let me know how you like them as double blades.
  10. Tonyr

The Toro blades are 20.5'' deere 21''.

no streaks in heavy mowing even with the shorter mowing, if for some reason I stopped using the deere blade I'd just use the tor notched highlift with a spacer, but I prefer the stepped design of the deere, protects the spindle bolt more being up a bit higher....

my perfert blade I think is a curved 21'' notched highlift blade for this deck in our northern aussie ''grass''.....weeds mowed short to look like grass lol.